50s bathroom budget facelift

My little 77 yr old Mother has 2 bathrooms in her 1000 sq ft 1950s house. No remodel budget so I did a facelift on one a few yrs ago. She loves it and won't ever use the other drab dingy bathroom.
All the paint colors, I think I used 5 or 6, came from the border I chose. The theme and colors in the border helped marry the aqua-green sink/tub/toilet with the facelift.
A vanity Demo was not an option so some creative painting with all new hardware helped it out a little.
I love these "picture frame" switch plates. I framed a bit of the border and the switch is now white to match --- no more ugly brown flipper! You can see my faux bead-board better here.
Same "picture frame" plate here and the brown plugs have been changed to white.
It was cheaper just to paint the old door to match the vanity and it helped balance the design. I added a chrome hook to match all the new towel racks and hardware.
I "wallpapered" this poster to the wall and painted a faux frame around it to match the Faux Bead-board I painted. I hung the Towel Rack high to give a window valance effect for decorative shell motif guest towels.
The new medicine chest really brought a nice character to the room. I painted a faux bead-board below the border which has the sand colors. The walls are 50s plaster and installing real bead-board would have been a pain. Faux works!
This is what the old mirror looked like --- just the 50s style mirror door. I never took a before picture but this is in the second bath which is awaiting a remodel. It is exactly the same style medicine chest I removed.

• Gail B

I've been planning on re-decorating my bathroom in a sea theme, and was all ready planning on blue over the traditional aqua. This is so cool! Love the frames over the switches and outlets especially.

• Diana Deiley

Great job. Love the border paper. :)