Sara
Sara
  • O Fallon, IL

Mirror Tile + Stencil + Joint Compound + Rub N Buff

Inspired by a very stormy midwest day .. fall right around the corner .. a free mirror tile and dusting off 'stuff' to create with ... I ended up with a fun project!
My Cricut machine has been neglected for quite some time .. and I was playing with the setting for vinyl cutouts - then deciding to cut out this swirly flower .. and using the vinyl on the mirror as a stencil.
Mirror Tile
Mirror Tile
Found a container of Dap Wallboard Joint Compound (what in the heck is that for - dunno but it was white, mushy stuff that holds joints together I guess) .. opened the container and it seemed ok to use. Applied with the back of a plastic spoon it was fun - like frosting a cake! Some places ended up being thicker than others but still ok.
Dap Joint Compound
Dap Joint Compound
The next part was a mess - totally my fault and I could use suggestions here - the vinyl is way sticky and was really stuck to the mirror. I did manage to get it all off but was kind of messy .. however, it left the goop in the right places so all I had to do was leave overnight to dry.
Gold Rub n Buff
Gold Rub n Buff
Rub n Buff is something that's been around forever - and I just put it on my finger and go over the ridges/valleys - and this can be done lightly or heavily depending on your vision of how you want it to look. It doesn't take long for the wax to dry and then just buff it to taste. I didn't buff much because I was going for a less polished look. This product comes in several different colors - I haven't tried them all but might add some pewter or silver highlights.
This is my first post - be kind! ;o)

Sara

• Debi Willhoite

That is pretty cool! I bet that would look really good on vases or lamp bases or even on canvas for wall decor....Love that design and how that rub and buff looks on it. :)

• Sara

@Debi Willhoite Thanks! I've decided there are too many work days in a week .. I need to play more!!

• Debi Willhoite

I know what you mean....and I'm retired and still don't have enough time to play lol!