Our New Garden Project

This year my husband decided to take a new approach to gardening. He salvaged some old pallets from the dumpster at work to construct these garden boxes. He also saved the stalks from my sunflowers last year to use for "scaffolding" for the plants to give it a shot at vertical gardening. He has used twigs and branches to build the cages for the tomato plants (which are going crazy!). Needless to say, we are also saving every scrap we can from the kitchen for our compost bins. His goal is to have a 100% zero waste garden.These are just a few photos to show how far this project has come in just a month and 1/2. Hope you enjoy!
Our Garden, 1 1/2 Months Old!
Newly Planted Garden
Newly Constructed Garden Boxes

• Leah R

Jerrie, we have a 5 ft chain link fence around the back yard. It keeps the deer out. The neighbors have a 4 ft fence and the deer are always in their yard. I don't know why the 1 ft stops them, but I am very happy it does!!! We also use a mixture of 6 eggs, about 6 minced garlic cloves, hot pepper sauce and red pepper flakes to spray on all of our plants and flowers that aren't protected with the fence and it works perfectly. It smells horrible and needs to be resprayed every couple of days but it works. You mix it all up in a large glass jar with a lid, and let it ferment in the sun for 2 or 3 days, then strain, and mix in a spray bottle with water.

• Bar1738694

I am a great fan of raised bed gardening and you can actually get more out of a raised bed than from the old fashioned ones. I hate to hoe weeds and with raised beds you don't have to do that. You don't have to stay out in the hot sun like our parents, doing back breaking work. Your garden is lovely.