Somewhat Quirky
Somewhat Quirky
  • Grosse Pointe, MI

Glass Globe Towers by Somewhat Quirky Design

$100.00

I saw one of these in a magazine years ago and I've wanted one ever since. It took me several years to collect affordable pieces but after that it was pretty easy. Here is some of how I did it. For more specifics and lessons learned you will need to read through the tutorial on my blog.
my glass tower vision has been fulfilled i built it, repurposing upcycling
This almost shows all of both towers.
my glass tower vision has been fulfilled i built it, repurposing upcycling, I disassembled all of my collected lamps and laid out the globes to see approximately how much rebar I needed for the tower
I had to accumulate many different globes over the years to finally get to make my masterpieces! I found them at antique shops, thrift stores, yard sales, - pretty much anywhere that you could hope to find old lamps and hanging lights.
my glass tower vision has been fulfilled i built it, repurposing upcycling, I used 3 8 inch rebar threaded through all of the pieces I didn t end up using this base though The actual construction was quite a bit of trial and error in 100 temperatures ARGH
I experimented with what bases I wanted to use. I didn't end up using this cool metal base and ended up using pots with dirt in them for stability.
my glass tower vision has been fulfilled i built it, repurposing upcycling, I used the biggest globe and lamp base for the bottom of the tower
I basically just played around with them - in 100 degree heat, I might add - for hours until I felt comfortable with their stability and the way they looked.
my glass tower vision has been fulfilled i built it, repurposing upcycling, I alternated the globe pieces with a lamp parts Initially I tried to use only the globes but didn t like the way the glass rubbed and was afraid they would break
Initially I just planned on one tower but figured out pretty quickly that I had too many globes for just one tower.
my glass tower vision has been fulfilled i built it, repurposing upcycling, After figuring out that the globes were too heavy for one tower I made a second tower
My neighbor told me that having two takes away the weirdness. Hmmm.
my glass tower vision has been fulfilled i built it, repurposing upcycling, They are beautiful with the sun shinning through
They are beautiful with the sun shinning through them. The full tutorial and supply list for making your own tower is available in the blog post listed below. And for an update, new specifics, year to year care, etc., you can check out this post HERE.
Somewhat Quirky

• Pam Patton

What do you call the pieces between the globes?

• Somewhat Quirky

They are the various lamp parts that I got when I took the lamps apart to get the globes.

• Somewhat Quirky

Pam if you are going to make one you really should read through the two blog posts

• SUREE

what is the glue that can I use beteween the globe

• Somewhat Quirky

Sure there is no glue on this. I would suggest that you carefully read the blog post linked to this post. There are many tips and tricks for building this successfully.

• Calypse

I love this but I'm worried that it wouldn't survive a hail storm. How has your's held up?

• Somewhat Quirky

Mine have held up well in rain and sleet, but I can't remember ever having a hail storm. Actually I'm sure we've had a few, but probably nothing like you have in Texas. I have left them up over winter a few times and they did fine. I usually take them down in the fall and clean them up really well before they go back out in the spring.

• Patty Parsons

Totally confessed, how did you put holes on both ends of each globe?? Love this!!

• Patty Parsons

I have never seen globes with two holes??
    • Somewhat Quirky

Patty, all lamp globes have two holes. Many hanging lights have two holes. I discuss this much more in the blog post, which would be much more helpful to you. That post also includes a link to a second post that has more extensive information about the globes and building the tower.
    • Patty Parsons

Than you so much, I love it and I.m gonna try it!! I will let you know if I did good!! Lol
  • Barbara Bullard

What are the pieces in between the globes, it appears to be parts of the deconstructed lamps, it that correct?

• Somewhat Quirky

Yes they are. If you read through my blog posts about these (there are two) I talk about this a lot

• Linda Abate

How spectacular your garden must be. I don't think I could stop at making just a couple for my garden. I have several gardens in my yard and would need several to place where-ever. These would also make a great gift for family and friends. Thanks for sharing your adorable totem pole project.
  • Barbara

They are absolutely gorgeous