I am planning on mounting some small lights under the cabinets of my Crafting work area.

Pamala SKMS WoodworksBarbara N
+6

I know that I need lights that will give me true color and no heat. Does anyone have suggestions on what type of lights I should use?
  • KMS Woodworks

The best for low heat would be LED's...to keep these in a more "color neutral" go for the Warm White variety...cool white will cast a blueish tint. In our "craft" area we also have a boom light that can be used for more intense detail work. Ours is halogen which can run hot but next time I need to get a bulb I'm going to switch to a "cree" LED that will fit the 2 prong halogen set up.

• There are special lights that are available at the craft stores that will give you true light. The surfaces that I work on are very large so I had to go with a halogen shop light. Avoid that if possible, they are hot and energy guzzlers.

• Paul R

I agree, I have halogen lights under my cabinets and they get way too hot for my comfort. I only use them when I need them and I turn them off after. Partially for safety reasons.

• Strock Enterprises, Inc.

I agree that LED lights are the way to go. One thing you'll want to look for is their "color range." A color range of 5000k will be a crisp white light while a 2700k will be more of a warm yellowish light. So, pick your color according to your task or use. I would probably recommend you purchase the 5000k to meet your needs of "true color." Now, as far as price, you will spend more for a 12" LED strip (probably about $75 - $100.) However, they're supposed to last essentially forever and use very little electricity and don't put off any heat. So, spend a couple dollars more and get what you want. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you. Sincerely, Trey Strock

• Barbara N

You need a FULL SPECTRUM bulb... They are available at lighting stores and large home improvement stores...

• Pamala S

Thanks for the pointers!!!!

• Pamala S

Going shopping for the lights today. Very thankful to all of you for helping to make me feel more secure in what I will be looking for.

• KMS Woodworks

Let us know what you find

• Pamala S

http://www.arcadianlighting.com/mx-53704al.html this is one like i ended up with. OMGosh I wasn't expecting such a hefty price tag!!!