Angie Forte
Angie Forte
  • Lascassas, TN

DIY Pottery Barn Knockoff Grouted Pumpkins

$5

I saw some beautiful mercury glass pumpkins in Pottery Barn's fall catalog. They had been grouted with concrete...hmmm, not sure I like the concrete part but I knew I could probably make something very similar for less. Check it out!
diy pottery barn knockoff grouted pumpkins, crafts, seasonal holiday decor
Using simple, common glass light fixture globes found at the thrift store for 99 cents each, I spray painted the insides with Krylon's Looking Glass spray paint and gave them a mercury glass look.
I loved the look of the mercury glass and wasn't too sure I even wanted to cover that up but I did, at least on one. Instead of concrete or grout, I chose a white chalk paint. Using the paint, i covered the entire outside of the globe, then I went back and wiped away all of the paint leaving just what was in the grooves of the glass.
To make a stem, I cut a think glue stick in half, one for each pumpkin. Using the heated glue gun, I melted grooves into the sides of each stick. I stuck the glue gun down into one end of the stick and began pulling melted glue out at an angle to give the appearance of where the stem had been cut from the vine. Don't worry about the glue strings. They actually resemble the tendrils of the pumpkin vine. Once done, I spray painted the "stem" with silver paint and attached it and book page leaves to the top of the globes. That's it! You're done! (I've updated the post on my blog with several how-to photos of the stems!)
Angie Forte

• Ann Baxter

what did you do to the opening where the light bulb goes into the globe?

• Colleen Flaherty Hocking

These are pretty. I have never heard of Looking Glass paint. There are so many new spray paints available. This year I tried some glitter paint. I hope to make these pumpkins. Thanks!!!

• Smc2409141

How could you do these in Orange?
    • Angie Forte

That's a simple change. Use orange chalk paint instead of the white. The Mercury glass color inside would not need to change. Hope that helps!

• Brenda Ogden

What a great job you did. TY for sharing. Yes. I will try that next fall.

• Artemis

Definitely going on the list for Fall! Thanks