Landscaping around/under a 2nd level deck

We are just starting to spruce up our yard & do a bit of landscaping. I added a few trellises and am going to plant climbing flowering plants where you see them sitting. My question is about underneath our deck. As you can probably see, the grass has died underneath. I am wondering what to do with the area. Add rock, mulch? I would also love more ideas on landscaping in general in this area. Thanks a bunch!

Sandy D

• Jeanette S

If your deck is sufficient to meet your outdoor needs, then I would use this space under the deck as a work area. I would put pavers underneath so it would be like an outdoor room. You do not have to go with the decorative expensive kind, but can use plain concrete ones. While you do not want to junk it up, it would be a great place to add a bench with storage to the right of the window and toward the stairs. Then put a potting table behind the trellis. A small storage shed can be placed under the stairs. That way, you can work in the shade and our tools can be stored away. Or if you are not into gardening, it would be a great place to use the same concept and make a playhouse with storage for the children.

• Magnolia Outdoor Living

Sandy, I hope you have discovered something that works for you and your deck already, but if you have not, let me be of help. It appears that your deck has no underdeck or any system to stop rain water from coming through. This may be why your grass died, from too much or not enough watering. An underdeck system can offer you much more stability to do your landscaping under, and you can even add a room if you'd prefer. Call us at 770-309-3999 if you're interested in this at all. We have all kinds of pictures on our website as well. Hope this helps. Happy holidays also. :)