Deborah M
Deborah M
  • Lexington, NC

Please help identify

Jme11803295MaggieRean Ohashi
+20

This is a vine with reddish orange trumpet like blooms. It is in all the trees in the woods behind my home. What is it???
q please help identify, gardening, plant id
  • Leslie D

Your description of them is right on for the name. Looks like orange trumpet vine to me. Had them all over the place when I was in upstate SC.

• Lori J

They are lovely, invasive and hard to stop!

The scientific name is Campsis radicans, and if so, your woods are probably full of hummingbirds right now.

• Sherry L

Yep, Trumpet Vine, or Bugle Vine. I am trying to root some now that I took from cuttings in the woods.

• Tammy@Deja Vue Designs

It's either a trumpet or a cross vine. They are invasive....but the hummingbirds absolutely LOVE them!

• Deborah M

Thanks guys. And yes we have many hummingbirds.

• Debbie Hamilton

Does anyone know how to get rid of it, its coming up everywhere!

• Merita Young

Also looks like Cape Honeysuckle

• Todd Flink

Yup that is a trumpet vine... have them in Missouri. Pretty plant.

• Mary

Looks like my trumpet vine there are beautiful and i love how they attract hummingbirds and butterflys but they are invasive if you dont keep the little ones that grow pulled up..Also the birds drop the seeds in the yard so they grow keep them pulled up where you dont want them.

• DPitnof

Honeyscuccle

• Regina

trumpet vine..very invasive..I've been digging these up for years and continue to do so wherever I see them

• Jme11803295

Spray the vines with roundup, this kills the vines from the roots up, if you miss a root or two, the vine is going to return. If the vine is big, just spray from the ground up for a few feet, saturate the leaves. It will take a week or so, but this works. Good luck

• Sharon

Campsis, or trumpet vine.

• Terry

trumpet vine...they take over everything and are very hard to get rid of

• Jme11803295

This looks to be a fiesta honeysuckle which I paid 15.00 for at the nursery. No scent. This shows the flower head ready to bloom, have you seen it in bloom, very pretty.

• Giacomina Albertini

campsis radicans

• Geology48

Hummingbirds love this!

• Rean Ohashi

Trumpet vine, Humming birds LOVE them!!!, I have 2in back yard & 1 in front yard , and it's beautiful bone!!

• Maggie

It is a trumpet vine if the flower continues to open up into a trumpet (think horn) like shape. As Rean has stated, humming birds love it. And it can invasive but just cut, pull out, or mow the unwanted shoots. It requires a fence or structure to latch on to. You will see small black ants crawling on the flower buds. But, they are overwhelming so that it is gross. It can be a beautiful outside plant.

• Jme11803295

Cindie, honeysuckle and trumpet vines are different I don't believe trumpet has any yellow on it, but fiesta does.