Chris Sabol
Chris Sabol
  • Annapolis, MD

Gazing Light

My gazing ball broke a few years back and not wanting to spend the money on a new ball, the stand sat empty in my basement. One day I decided to do something with it.
garden art gazing light homemade, lighting, outdoor living
First I went through all my electrical parts that I keep..yes, I save everything. I am sorry I didn't take pictures as I was assembling this, but I started with drilling a hole in the bottom of the stand. I then put the wire through to the top. I got one of those brackets that you affix to the ceiling for a light fixture, drilled two small holes at the top of the stand and screwed that on.
I wired a socket and attached that to the bracket. Easy as pie. I put in an LED, I think that's what they are called, light bulb and used a globe from an old light fixture on top. Before I put the globe on, I used waterproof caulking around the globe to keep any water out and that was it.
I am hoping the bulb lasts a pretty long time but to change the light, I will just remove the caulking and then re-caulk it. Sounds like a pain but I like it so much, I don't mind. I put it on a timer and at dusk it comes on and looks so pretty. Even though this was taken at night, it was hard to get a good shot of how it looks. It was fun to make!