Sheila
Sheila
  • Rock Hill, SC

Painted Concrete Porch With a Stone Stencil

I pressure washed my porch many times but could not get all the stains out/off, so I decided to paint it and use the stone stencil to give it a stone look finish with more colors.
First I painted the whole thing with one color so that it would look like a mortar or grout when I used the stencil with the other colors. I used 3 other colors in each of the blocks of the stencil and used a brush to scrub them into the concert which made each one come out a different look or color of stones.
It made the porch a little cozier while sitting out in my swing. I spend more time on the porch now, in my swing.
porches painted concrete stone stencil makeover, concrete masonry, diy, painting, porches, All done and cozy now
All done and cozy now!
porches painted concrete stone stencil makeover, concrete masonry, diy, painting, porches, This is right after a pressure washed it Still stained
This is right after a pressure washed it. Still stained.
porches painted concrete stone stencil makeover, concrete masonry, diy, painting, porches
porches painted concrete stone stencil makeover, concrete masonry, diy, painting, porches, The stencil I got from Lowe s
The stencil I got from Lowe's
porches painted concrete stone stencil makeover, concrete masonry, diy, painting, porches, Getting started
Getting started
porches painted concrete stone stencil makeover, concrete masonry, diy, painting, porches, It took me a couple of days but it was worth the time
It took me a couple of days but it was worth the time.
porches painted concrete stone stencil makeover, concrete masonry, diy, painting, porches, Reds browns caramel and linen colors mixed and brushed into the concrete
Reds browns caramel and linen colors mixed and brushed into the concrete.

• Teri Sabo-Whalen

I love the colors and what a fantastic job you did. Looks wonderful! What brand and kind of paint did you use and did you put a sealer on top? That color scheme is perfect for matching my house. Did you "dry brush" the colors in each stone to give it variation and realistic looks? Thank you

• Sheila

I used rust-oleum spray paint in caramels, brick red, tan, black and linen. Yes it is wearing very well. I did not use a sealer. Yes I did dry brush it to get the variation in color.

• Mgm6283665

Please write a detailed description of how the project was done .

• Sheila

I used rust-oleum spray paint in caramels, brick red, tan, black and linen. Yes it is wearing very well. I did not use a sealer. I discribed the details throughout the earlier questions

• Momladybarbara

please let us know whaat paint you used and did you use a sealer on top looks great

• Sheila

I used rust-oleum spray paint in caramels, brick red, tan, black and linen. Yes it is wearing very well. I did not use a sealer.

• Nancy J

Can you please share the colors of paints you used and did you seal it? If so, what sealer? Can you please edit in your process of doing this? Thanks

• Sheila

• Marlene

What kind of paint did you use? Is it still wearing well?

• Sheila

I used rust-oleum spray paint in caramels, brick red, tan, black and linen. Yes it is wearing very well.

• PJ

VERY NICE!! I THINK I'LL DO THE SAME TO MINE! I know the questions have already been asked - But... Please I would luv to know: 1) what type of paint You used; 2) did You seal it... and if so, what product was used. Thanking you in advance. Pam C e-mail - calvinsnana@gmail.com

• Sheila

I used rust-oleum spray paint and I did not seal it. It is holding up very well but it is a covered porch. It still gets rained, snowed and full sun at least a foot from the edge and still looks good.

• PJ

Thanks so very much!

• Sheila

You are quite welcome.

• Sherry

How many stencils did you use at one time?

• Davhelcruz

I'm trying to look up the stencil but can't find it. How is it called

• Sheila

It is a cement/stone form. You pour cement in it to make different styles be forms. I found it in the concrete (bags) section at lowes

• Sheila

Sorry for the typos. Auto correct is not always correct

• Aggie

Do you have to wait for the weather to get warm to do this? I live on Long Island, and it's cooling down now. My husband says the paint won't dry. Thanks

• Gary Hitchcock

What type of brush did you use?

• Ann7553297

Is there any way to show me the step by step working with the stencil and the colors?

• Flo

Beautiful ! ? What kind of paint & brushes did you use .and did you use some kind of sealer?

• Shawna Bailey

Spray paint, and I hope she sealed it with a poly based sealer

• Sheila

I used spray paint and a big scrub brush. The porch is covered so I did not use a sealer.

• Sharon Mccain

So you painted the base a caramel color
    then you placed the form and then spray painted at random the other colors and used the brush to blend the colors?
  • Susie

Did you spray paint the color on the base or did you roll the base color on?
  • Patricia.

What would you use to seal it if it was outside. I love this idea. !!!
  • Kim Mcneil Scott

I absolutely love this and you did a beautiful job . I want to do this on my patio so bad but my question is I don’t have just a regular concrete patio . My patio is concrete but more of a pea gravel concrete patio can it be done over that ? I haven’t seen it done on a patio that wasn’t flat

• K lenoro

This is lovely! You used 3 different colors? What did you use to seal it?

• Sandra A Warren

My porch looks just like yours except mine extends to a slightly sloped sidewalk which is uncovered. I’m wondering if the paint would hold up and also wonder if paint might be slippery?

• Jeanne

Depends on what kind of paint you use. You can add sand like substance for a non slip surface. Your local lumber company or hardware store can help you with the paint. And yes porch paint does hold up with proper maintenance. Good luck.

• Sheila

I used spray paint and it has held up with nothing added to it or any kind of coating. It is not slippery at all

• Susan Herrera

did you use spray paint? What kind of brush did you use to scrub the color into the cement?

• Sheila

Yes I used spray paint and a scrub brush

• Kathy Spiker

What kind of paint did you use to paint the porch? We have been wanting to do something like this with our porch.

• Mary Beth Packard

I am inspired! We've got a porch, screened only on one side; two walls (one with a window to the breakfast room) are part of the house plus one that's sliding doors to the living area; walls need paint (a separate issue), as well as the floor. My concern with the stencils is that the floor along the screened side gets mildewed and stained by rain very easily. Will stenciling be harder or easier to clean? And do I coordinate the paint with the interior tile floor (gray/beige swirls) or pick one of the interior tile shades or change up altogether?

• Ruby Lear

I have a stained cement porch. I would like to paint it. That looks like a lit of work for a 73 year old woman. Is there anything I could do that is a lit easier?