Michelle R
Michelle R
  • Auburn, MI

What color to paint my living room that goes with connecting yellow dinning room.

Brenda YoungAnna Le BlancMichelle R
+2

My dinning room and living room connect by a large arched doorway. I have painted the dinning room a Glad Yellow from Sherwin Williams. I really like it but now I don't know what to paint the large living room. I do not want it yellow too. Any ideas?
  • KMS Woodworks

My living room is a very pale green....if I remember right I think the color was called "haymarket"...it have been 5 years or so since we painted...so far we are still happy with it.

• Dee W

Hi Michelle, my dining room is yellow also and for my living room I split it in half with a border and painted a slightly different yellow on top and a deep burgandy on the bottom. I honestly feel every color works well wth yellow but if you really want no yellow in your living room, go with your next favorite color or pick a shade from your dining room. Try to put a touch of yellow in your living room... pillows, flowers or a throw blanket- this way the two rooms will stand on their own, yet still flow together.

• Michelle R

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Anna Le Blanc

It depends on the shade of yellow you used and the colour of the furniture in the adjoining room. If it's pale you can go with a pale shade of green or even a lavender. Can you post a picture of the dining room?

• Brenda Young

So many colors go with yellow as its prime, I guess you should paint the adjoining room in a complimentary color chosen by the predominant decor colors in the room. Or choose a favorite from the opposite side of the color wheel and replace the accessories to go with your new fab color choice.