Judy D
Judy D
  • Mustang, OK

A person from my nursery planted a Japanese Red Maple tree in full sun. Is this okay?

Douglas Hunt3po3Judy D
+5

• 3po3

I think it depends on the cultivar. The light tolerances vary between types of Japanese Red Maple, and between geographic regions.

As Steve says, there are cultivars that will tolerate full sun, but I'm old-fashioned and to my eye a Japanese maple never looks right sited that way.

• Judy D

Thank you all for you input. I am in zone 7 and I am not sure of the cultivar of the red maple. It is not a lace leaf ( I have one of those also).

• 3po3

I would ask for more details at the nursery. They would probably know best.

Was there no discussion beforehand about where the tree would go?

• Judy D

Unfortunately.....yes. I lost a tree in the space that I asked him to move the tree into. I am not an Arborist so I was not aware that Japanese Red Maples should not be planted in full sun. I did not complain, of course, since he just did what I asked him to do. I was surprised that he did not tell me that it could not be planted in full sun. :-(

• 3po3

Well, Judy, if it doesn't make it, you have an experience to teach your customers about.

Here's hoping it's a sun-tolerant cultivar and all will be well.