LizMarieBlog.com
LizMarieBlog.com
  • New Bern, NC

DIY chalk paint vs. Annie Sloan Chalk Paint

I get asked a lot the differences between DIY chalk paint & ASCP & both are great for home DIY projects, but they are very different. Read this post for all pros & cons: http://www.lizmarieblog.com/2012/06/homemade-chalk-paint-vs-ascp/
Homemade chalk paint
Homemade chalk paint

• Rose

Do you need to seal a wall painted with chalk paint?

• Julie Crozier

@Rose I used Chalk-tique added to paint in my bathroom. I waxed the cabinets after I painted, but not the walls or baseboards. It has been a year, and still looks great.

• Helena

For protection, waxing, in my opinion is a good investment.

• Poppies Paint Powder

@30 results are available, use up and down arrow keys to navigate. no way would wax a wall. But conversely you can just use Flat paint. We have customers ask us all the time to sell them Poppie's to paint their walls and we highly discourage them.

• MaryAnn Bickmore

Can you get too much wax on a project?

• Helena

with chalk paint there is no right or wrong. If you applied too much, you can always sand down lightly.

• Chr3052279

do I need a sealer after I painted the object with chal paint , and how many coats does it need pls Thank you

• Stacie

No, but it is completely matte. If you want a sheen you would have to polyurethane in your desired finish. The number of coats depends on the coverage you want. One is generally enough for me with a few brush stokes here and there for coverage. This is a table that I just finished. One coat, but a few more strokes on the drawers. Good luck!

• Shirleygatto

can i use furniture polish on chalk paint?

• Helena

If the chalk paint has been sealed with a wax protector, you can lightly dust with a soft cloth

• Terra Gazelle

I use Johnson and Johnson's Finishing wax to seal the pieces I want to seal with wax. You really only need to go over the piece with a soft cloth..at the worse maybe a damp cloth. If you want more gloss on a piece you have chalk painted..then you can use a satin or semi gloss polycrylic. Your chalk painted furniture should be sealed..

• Poppies Paint Powder

Yes shirleygatto . We seal most of our pieces with Daddy Vans furniture polish. The great thing about using furniture polish as your sealer is that when your piece gets dirty just re-wax it and it will look like new.

• Claudia Veitch

Is there anything I can use to seal white paint without it turning yellow?

• Gramcracker

you actually can buy spray sealer that is non-yellowing; it will say it right on the can; I've bought it at Menards, Home Depot and Walmart. Good Luck

• Poppies Paint Powder

Yep. You can get a clear satin matte.

• Mary Smith

Be sure to use a latex sealer such as polycrylic. Oil based sealers will yellow in time.

• Sherrie

Use water base polyethylene. Oil base yellows as soon as sun light hits it. Or polyarcrylic

• Shoogie (Susan)

The link isn't highlighted therefore it doesn't work. I would like to read the comparisons.

• Luann Heffelfinger

I have a quart of chalk paint...and it's too "white". What would happen if I got creative and mixed in some leftover latex paint to try and get the color I prefer? I plan to polycrylic the final result... What do I have to lose? Any thoughts?

• Dori

Thank you sooo much for being forthright about chalk paint. I was told Benjamin Moore has a very good paint for furniture. Having read your comments, I think that is the road I will take for painting my furniture. Sign me "Grateful"

• B Juliana Leo

There is a paint that I have used for years - you can get it at www.fauxmarketplace.com. It is called SETCOAT - It comes in various colors OR you can get the tint base and get it colorized from your favorite paint store (colorizing tints can be made at any Paint store) SETCOAT is made to be used for Walls And Furniture, but the beauty of this product is its cabinet durability. Its thicker than most paints, and can be thinned for spraying. (by 10%) SETCoat also can be textured or painted smooth. Depending on application process. TO texture it, you can even Add some Joint compound to the mix, to thicken it. I know Annie Sloan has done a great job marketing their product, but truthfully, I find that buffing it with Wax, to be tedious. I'd rather just paint on a nice topcoat and be done with you. YOU can still get the same look. I know, I've done this many times.

• Dori

Thanks again Juliana. Appreciate your advice.