Installing a flagstone patio

On a budget and being eco conscious, the 500sf flagstone patio was built to help make up for the limited space in my home. It has both a living and dining area. The pathways and planting beds are constructed with all sustainable products and plants. I had gotten quotes but decided I could be my own contractor and hired the labor and worked along with them, saving thousands of dollars.
My finished stone patio!
The metal furniture was all bought at yard sales and I personally restored them. All cushions and pillows were bought on clearance. Some of the pillows were even made from 2 sided outdoor placemats that I opened up and stuffed then re-stitched. I hope you agree it was well worth the effort.
Started with a plan. Got marking paint.
My father borrowed a rear tine tiller for me. I thought I could handle it but too much for a girl. So my most fabulous friend came over and tilled it up for me.
After hiring some labor, we removed the turf and previous stone patio and added a layer of crushed granite. Then a layer of leveling sand. Level string was added to level and slope away from the house. Then the flagstone puzzle begins!
We added decomposed granite between the stones and misted with water. When all was said and done, we then added metal edging around the entire edges to help hold in place. This project brought on a whole landscape redo. I will post the pathways and landscapes separately.

• Mark Thibodeaux

So for the 500sq and doing most the work yourself how much did you spend? I want to do the same thing

• HoopHasIt

Hi Mark! I'm sorry I just saw your question. I figure I spent a total of about $3200 initially. That includes the labor, materials, meals for the helpers, etc. About a third of the cost for quotes received. Good luck!

• Karin

We are building a 200 square foot flagstone patio. How much decomposed granite do we need to put between the stones, after we've set them? Thank you.

• Susan

Where did you buy the flagstone and the other stuff that flagstone was put together with?

• Carol Cole

That is so pretty , no , it is beautiful. I love it. Great job, well done.

• Cat

so nice! I have a "boring" backyard that I would love to add a patio to - either low wood one or stone. thanks for the ideas