How to BEEF up a Boring Front Door

This was it y'all. This was my boring, blah front door, but even worse, check out the massive vacant space above it with a whole lot of nothing goin' on! I honestly had no plans to do anything with it, until I popped my "new" vintage luggage the shelf above the door. Every time I'd looked up to admire my luggage, I was met with that bit ol' brown wall and plain front door. Something had to give!
front door improvement addition shelf, doors, home decor
I decided to add molding above the door! I started with MDF and secured it into the studs.
I cut the crown molding which was used on top and a smaller trim molding for along the bottom. The hubs decided to give me a break and help with this part :-)
After filling nails holes with putty, doing a light sanding and painting, here's the finished product! What a huge difference don't ya think!? I love the huge architectural impact it makes in the entry, and while I had thought about adding a wood appliqué of some sort to the center, I think I may love on it as is for the moment.
I'd love to hear your thoughts. For full details, make sure to check out my blog! Thanks a bunch!
Simple Southern Charm