Dianne
Dianne
  • Millington, TN

what is this tree

DianneSharron WLeanna Anthonsen
+28

does anyone know what this tree is? This is only photo I have of bloom but the leaves are very large ( 1 foot across) & bark is smooth green. A friend took this photo in Jackson, MS
what is this tree, gardening, landscape

This is a guess, because you really can't see the shape of the leaves, but, based on the size you said, and because on the left that looks like the underside of a bloom: possibly big-leaf magnolia, Magnolia macrophylla.

• Sharron W

The Flower almost looks like a tulip Poplar....

• Linda P

Possibly an Empress Tree. Can't really tell by size of picture.

• Jean

I was also thinking Tulip Poplar.

• Stasea

lady slipper family?? LARGE ONE!!

• Barbara M

I WOULD SAY A MAGNOLIA TRIPITALIA

• Russ S

It's a Plumeria tree I have one in my backyard.

• Dorothy H

no way, its NOT a Plumeria Tree

• Dianne

looks more like the Bigleaf Magnolia, Large-leaved Cucumber Tree (Magnolia macrophylla)...NOT the Plumeria tree

• Dianne

from the friend that took the photo: This is NOT a magnolia of any kind..this is a tropical tree with very large leaves and a soft bark. Sort of like the rice paper plant some people allow.

• Dianne

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• MARY T

When you find out, I would like to know the best part of the country to grow these. Thanks.

Where was the photo taken? Is it possible for your friend to take more, so that we can at least see the shape of the leaf?

• Barb W

I'm thinking Tulip Poplar also.

• Ana L

Tulip Poplar tree bark isn't smooth though. Leaves are also different.

• Colleen L

Take a leaf to your local plant nursery and ask.

• JILL WOLFE

TULIP POPLAR LEAVES ARE SHAPED LIKE A TULIP...SOURWOOD?

• Leanna Anthonsen

Sourwoods' (Oxydendron) southern-most range is N.Carolina. and the leaves are a maximum 3" wide. For sure need a more comprehensive photo to ID it.

• Cheryl C

We have Sourwoods all over our farm in North GA. The leaves are shiny and shaped differently. The leaves in the photo also look stiffer and have different veining They are in bloom now, with drooping clusters of fragrant white blossoms.

• Amy Roeder

My guess would be Chinese parasol tree.

• Leanna Anthonsen

Hey Cheryl C, Thanx for the infor about Sourwood tree in N. Ga. People are always the best testament to what is and what isn't, not textbooks.

• Delores M

I would say none of us can really tell, by the size of the photo.

• Grace F

It definitely is not Tulip Poplar. The bloom is not right for tulip poplar.

• Nancy

Amy, I think you are right. I just looked at pictures of a chinese parasol tree and this picture looks just like it.

• Sharron W

Desmos sp (Red flower) -Rare variety of Ylang Ylang shrub with red flowers. Lemon candy fragrance. Delicate plant, cold sensitive, collectible. Vigorous grower once established providing warm humid conditions toptropicals.com

what is this tree, gardening, landscape, I Found this today and thought it looked similar enough that maybe it was the plant in question LOL anyway I ve included the origin of the photo and what it said about the bush tree Hope it helps
  • Dianne

new photos of this tree, notice green smooth bark, big split leaves like a maple only huge....

what is this tree, gardening, landscapewhat is this tree, gardening, landscapewhat is this tree, gardening, landscape
  • Leanna Anthonsen

The trunk looks like a young striped maple(Acer pensylvanicum). Do the leaves have the shape of a big gooses' foot? That's another common name -goose foot maple and snakebark maple.

• Sharron W

WOW! @Dianne...you know I was hoping the photo I found MIGHT be something you recognized...but Looks obviously different...I think Leanna Might be on the right track... What do you think?

• Dianne

Chinese Parasol Tree...I think we have found it...google it & see if you agree...

• Sharron W

The Chinese parasol tree (Firmiana simplex) has immense leaves measuring about a foot across. The picture at left shows a young cluster of leaves that are only a few inches across. Although this tree is supposed to be frost sensitive, ours never seem to be harmed by our winter temperatures, even down to the 20's. When the leaves drop in the fall, they look like brown paper bags strewn about the yard and we don't really rake them so much as just gather them up. The trunk and branches are covered with smooth bark that is a striking green, especially in the winter when the branches are bare. That's what I found along with photos so similar to yours that ummmm yep I'd say you found your tree....LOL

• Dianne

Amy Roeder was right, thanks to everyone for your help, now I know what to buy.