Antique Settee Makeover

By now, most of you know about my obsession with Chalk Paint® Decorative Paint by Annie Sloan. You can paint almost anything with this wonder paint, and the best part there is no sanding or stripping involved. For my latest project, I was lucky enough to partner with the folks over at Annie Sloan Unfolded to makeover an amazing antique settee with my favorite paint.
This beauty came my way when Angel from Angel Michelle Photography contacted me to breathe some new life into this piece as she was wanting to use it as a photo prop. The shape and detail of this piece was gorgeous, but the current upholstery choice- not so much. Upholstery work and fabric costs can skyrocket pretty quickly, so I decided to give painting this bad boy a try. I had read about this technique in Annie Sloan's book Color Recipes for Painted Furniture and More. I am pretty impressed with the results.
I started out by wetting all the fabric down with a spray bottle. You don't need to douse it, but it takes the paint better if you dampen it. You only need to do this on the first coat.
There are two ways to go about painting fabric. You can dip your brush in the paint and then in a cup of water or you can make a water/paint mix with a 1:1 ratio. The paint will be really thin like the consistency of skim milk. I found I liked using the watered-down paint better as the coverage was more consistent for me.
The idea is to paint on several light layers of really diluted paint. You don't want to glob the paint on because it will be very hard when it dries and could crack your fabric. Think of it more like dying the fabric versus painting it. I did four coats total on my fabric, and I let them dry completely in between coats. The fabric can only take on so much paint when wet, so I waited a full 24 hours between coats. Also, don't worry about getting paint on your frame as long as you plan on painting it like I did. If not, tape it off.
Angel and I were both amazed by the transformation of this piece. I can't wait to see what she comes up with for her client shoots with this gem. I can just see a little newborn perched on it or a family shot in an open field. I am for sure getting a photo session with my family on it soon!
To learn more about this transformation and to see all the products I used, check out the full post over at Pretty Distressed by following the link below.

30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Pretty Distressed

• Necee Marie
    Necee Marie

I plan on doing this to my couch. Can I do this right in my home without any funky smells that would bother my cats ?? I’m in Ohio and it’s COLD outside 😜. Thank you

• Debo
      Debo

I have 5 kits and a dog and haven’t had any issues with that, and you know they’re usually close by watching as if they’re making sure we’re doing it right lol. If anything keeping them off the things I’m painting and during dry times has been the real challenge (I’m in MN so I get it). My guess is they would instinctively stay away if it was an issue. My experience with chalk paint is it’s much less odiferous than most paints I’ve used. Good luck!

• Remakeit
    Remakeit

Does the type fabric matter as to how it can be painted?

• Kasia
    Kasia

What kind of paint you use?is it safe to seat on it without staining your dress? It can crack whit using?

• Debo
    Debo

Beautiful! I’m an old hippy so I almost cried when I realized the first picture was the before lol but for photo shoots I can see how all that color wouldn’t be good.

• Love it, very classy.