Sarah Jane Dunaway
Sarah Jane Dunaway
  • Washington, DC

3 Tips for Cleaning the Dishwasher

$3

Even though I’m now in my third trimester, certain smells still make me a little nauseous, including–believe it or not–our dishwasher. I’m thrilled that we have a fantastic state-of-the-art dishwasher, but I’m not thrilled by the smell, especially right before it’s time to run a cycle. Now, you may be thinking, “Well, of course your dishwasher smells when it’s full of dirty dishes,” but I’m pretty sure this
cleaning tips dishwasher, appliances, cleaning tips
Option 1:
Fill your detergent container with powdered unsweetened lemonade mix. Run your dishwasher on hot. The citric acid in the powdered mix will remove any mineral and iron stain deposits that accumulate over time.
Option 2:
Pour two cups of white vinegar in the bottom of your dishwasher. Run your washer on low or energy saver. Stop the cycle mid-wash so the vinegar can set back to the bottom. Let stand for 20 minutes, then continue running the cycle.
Option 3:
Place a dishwasher-safe large cup (or glass Pyrex) of white vinegar in the top rack of your dishwasher. Run your dishwasher on the hot cycle. Once it is complete, sprinkle a cup of baking sodas around the bottom of your dishwasher. Run your dishwasher again. The baking soda will further help remove any buildup and freshen the inside of your washer.
Sarah Jane Dunaway

• Priscilla

I just found out my high end dishwasher drawers had a filter that needs to be cleaned once a month. I am ashamed to admit, mine had not been cleaned in several years because I didn't know it was there. Stuff was backed up in it and it smelled terrible. When I found it, I took it out and soaked it in vinegar and then laid paper towels soaked with vinegar inside the dishwasher with the racks out. Scrubbed it with a toothbrush to remove the calcium buildup and then used vinegar in a quick cycle to clean some more. I had to repeat that a a few times but it is now sparkling clean and looks almost new.
  • Dianne

I simply use a lemon. One lemon can be used to clean the dishwasher, microwave and the stainless steel kitchen sink.