Chalk Paint Chair Makeover

I had found this lovely little chair at a local thrift shop earlier this summer. I know the seat was ripped and a few worn spots in the frame, but there was nothing else wrong with this chair, it was a solid seat.
Before and After
First thing I did was remove the upholstered seat, which was just a matter of unscrewing 3 screws from underneath the chair. Then, I was left with the frame and got to work on it first. Since it was such dark wood, I primed the chair frame first using some primer I had on hand…I honestly can’t remember if it was Kilz or Zinsser, because I have both. After the primer, I gave the chair two coats of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint in Old White.
Once I had the chair painted, I gave it a light sanding all over, using an extra fine sanding block. Then, I knew I wanted to lightly distress, so I used a piece of 220 sandpaper in certain spots to let the wood peak through.
After the distressing, I wiped the whole chair down to prepare it for a coat of wax. I used Minwax’s Finishing Paste in Natural. It works like a charm.
Waxing helps protect the paint, and it also highlights all the details, like the distressed spots. Since the frame of the chair was done, I moved on to reupholstering the seat. For detailed reupholstering steps, check out my blog post.
I also whipped up this simple envelop pillow case using some $1.00 fabric and old cream color pieces I had around. Detailed pillow sewing in the blog post.
I love how she turned out, and the beautiful fabrics complement each other.

Puddy's House