DIY Pallet Accent Wall

4-6 Hours

When we moved into our house, the master bedroom had one big, plain, window-free wall that was just screaming for some attention. This pallet wall was the perfect cheap (free!), high impact solution to transform not only our wall, but our entire room!
This is what our bedroom looks like now! My husband also made this upholstered bed for us, which I am still in love with. This is by far our favorite room in our house.
We chose to do a pallet wall because we had extra pallets from my husband's job. You can find them sitting around at pretty much any home improvement store, grocery store, garden center, construction site, or warehouse.
Before you do any pallet projects, make sure you pick pallets that have a “HT” stamp on them. The “HT” stands for Heat Treated, which means there were no chemicals used to preserve the wood, just heat.
To get started, you need the following supplies:
1. Enough “HT” pallets to cover the wall
2. A sanding machine & sandpaper
3. A hammer
4. Finished nails
5. Soap & water
6. Table saw
After sanding/cleaning, we broke the pallets apart and nailed them to the wall one at a time, going from left to right. The saw came in handy to trim the pallets to fit perfectly against the wall on the right.
A few tips, if you do try this project:
Tip If you only have 1 shade of wood and want more, a few cans of stain can fix that!
Tip If you want a bit more certainty in the placement of the wood, try laying them all out on the floor before nailing them to the wall.
Tip Patience!
For comparison sake, here's a larger shot of what the wall looked like before the wall went up.

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Catherine

• Heidi Stoldt Mizey
    Heidi Stoldt Mizey

I have been to many places where they give away free pallets and not one has an ht stamped on them. I've already done 2 walls and now I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

• Ben Clark
      Ben Clark

Don't worry about it, I use pallets all the time and have never seen one with an HT mark on it .

• Jwsmommie72
    Jwsmommie72

What size was your wall and about how many pallets did you need to use for it? It looks awesome & I can use this info for me tofigure out how many pallets I'd need. Thanks!

• Chelly
    Chelly

Yes!

• Yvonne
    Yvonne

Absolutely love this you could even dry brush with white or any color you like❤

• BetsyRambo
      BetsyRambo

Yep a beachy blue, white, navy, sand stried dry brushing with a transparent stain, not paint gives a shiplap look!