Stirring Paint Without Making A Mess

After stirring paint using my drill and thus making a big mess outside on both the sidewalk and grass, I figured out how to stir paint without making a huge mess.
Step 1. Find a paint can lid.
Step 2. Use a 5/16" metal drill bit to drill a hole in the center of the paint can lid. I used a drill press as it gave me the leverage I needed.
Step 3. After drilling the hole, you're left with a metal burr. I used a sharpening block to sand the burr down but sand paper will work as well. Be careful as the burr is sharp and in fact, may cut through the sandpaper if applied by hand so you might want to use a sanding block instead.
Step 4. Place stirring stick through the hole to make sure it fits snugly. You don't want it to be too loose as paint will come through the hole and make a mess, which is what we are trying to avoid.
Now you should be able to place the stirring stick through the hole and place inside the paint can. Slide the lid down the stirrer and hammer onto the paint can to be stirred. I tested this out by placing my drill to high speed setting and although a little paint did come through the space between the stir stick and the hole, it didn't splash around and was easily wiped off. Of course, you don't need to use high speed to stir paint.
I used this drill bit in a drill press to drill through the center of the paint can lid.
Paint can lid is snug against the stir stick but not to a point where it's hard to slide up or down.
Finished product. As you can see, I've already used the lid a few times to stir paint and it's not overly dirty.

Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Old License Plates Lying Around? Check Out These 28 Snazzy Decor Ideas
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
30 Different Ways to DIY an Adorable Snowman This Winter
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas

• Sharron W

@ Gloria....that's how I stir paint, spray paint (if it's a small item) and splatter paint my pottery....LOL Great Minds...!

• Swinnen Lisette

Oups, I am still part of the stone age I think : I stir my paint slowly but surely (but surely slow) with a wooden spoon