Somewhat Quirky
Somewhat Quirky
  • Grosse Pointe, MI

One of my first builds - remains one of my favorites 8 years later.

Wanted a large headboard and I prefer to have a hand in everything in my home. Made one for a friend and couldn't resist making one for myself.
one of my first builds remains one of my favorites 8 years later, bedroom ideas, doors, repurposing upcycling
The headboard is made with a 5 panel door that I took from a friend's basement.
I attached a double thickness of MDF with brackets and covered the seam with decorative molding. I used a large piece of crown molding across the top.
The headboard is painted with High Gloss Impervo oil-based paint. The headboard can be hung by a french cleat. At one time I actually had this screwed to the wall - with a 2x4 brace along the bottom. This headboard is VERY heavy!
Somewhat Quirky

• OhSally

Very nicely done. I especially like your use of the embossed wallpaper. It adds great texture.

• Lisa House

This is absolutely the best headboard I have seen , I love it for so many reasons...foremost is the fact that you did not distress it. This trend of distressing everything is so overdone. Thank you for sharing, I am saving it to add to the hubby's honey-do list in the future!

• Somewhat Quirky

@Lisa House Thanks so much! I must confess that if chalk paint would have been around at the time I built this headboard it would be at least lightly distressed. This is painted in oil based alkyd paint though, and lots of layers. That was my go to furniture paint before I discovered the glories of no prep paints!