End Tables & Coffee Table Makeover

Here is a project we recently finished. These were some beat up pieces, glass inserts were gone and the legs of the coffee table were very wobbly! This is what we did to restore and repurpose them. :)
Before picture of the end tables
Before picture of the end tables
We started by lightly sanding with 120 grit sandpaper to smooth out any rough dings or edges. Then cleaned with some TSP. Now we were ready to paint! We used a custom blended paint to paint all of the end tables as well as the legs of the coffee table. We made this with a mix of 3 colors we had left from another project and what we ended up with was this cheery lime/ light yellowish color- I call it "True Key Lime" :) Once the paint dried, I used a poly type finish to all 3 pieces to protect the paint and the wood from any wear. We cut out 2 pieces of wood and covered them with the matching fabric that was used for the coffee table. We used these pieces to fill the openings and then laid a piece of clear acrylic over that to protect the fabric on each end table.
This is a before picture of the coffee table
With this piece, we did the same prepping as we did with the end tables shown above. We also took all the legs off-added new hardware, (old ones were stripped) applied some wood glue and secured the legs back into place with wood screws. Then we cut a piece of wood to cover over the whole top of the table, making it one solid top surface. Next we added 2" padding, cotton covering over the padding and our material of choice and we upholstered the top of the coffee bench. Once that was complete, we made the buttons and added the tufting as well as the decorative upholstery nails for added detail along each corner of the table. When that was done, we also added a dust cloth underneath! Now what was once non usable coffee table and end tables, is a beautiful and cheery looking bench, ottoman or upholstered coffee table and matching end tables/ night stands!
Finished end tables
Finished end tables
Here is the finished look of the end tables- this lighting isn't the greatest but below is another picture of it during the day. They turned out so beautiful!
end coffee table makeover upholstered makeover, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
Another view in the daylight.
Completed look-
Completed look-
Here is the finished look of what was an old beaten up coffee table and now repurposed into what could be a bench or ottoman or an upholstered coffee table. A fantastic set of pieces that all have many versatile functions! Now THAT is my kind of repurposing! :)
As a coffee table
Closer look of the detail
All three completed pieces.
All three completed pieces.
I hope you enjoyed this make over and would like to invite you to visit our Facebook page:

To see more: https://m.facebook.com/backtoliferestor

• JD

Before I apply the polycrylic, do I need to give my white kitchen table a light sanding? I'm afraid it will be visible--the lightly sanded surface--through the polycrylic once it's dry.

• Lonnie Battistoni

I love your makeovers especially the coffee table to a bench. So clever! 😊

• Karen Allen-Johnson

I did something similar with my mom’s end tables (she passed away several years ago and these have been in storage). I printed the table and then used mod podge to adhere one of my great grandmother’s hand crocheted doilies to the inside of the glass. Absolutely love the updated look and having a piece of history included.