Valarie Newcomb
Valarie Newcomb
  • Waldoboro, ME

how do you get rid of potato bugs?

Walter ReevesKMS Woodworks

• KMS Woodworks

Bacillus thuringiensis Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) is a bacterium that has been proven to be useful in combating potato bugs at the larval stage of development. When Bt is ingested by the larvae, they eventually die. Bt is most effective soon after hatching, and is most effective when temperatures are about 75 degrees Fahrenheit, as larvae feeding increases during warmer weather. others have used Neem oil and some have used wheat bran powder...the idea being the wheat bran is injested a then swell in the stomach and kills them....I'm a bit skeptical on that on though. labybugs are also used as a treatment

• Walter Reeves

hmmm....I'm guessing that child I see in your photo is too young to earn an allowance picking potato bugs like I did as a kid! This publication has tips http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/horticulture/M1200.html