Sara Bates
Sara Bates
  • Gilbertsville, PA

Collapsible Laundry Room Folding Table

When searching for something interesting to add some life to my laundry room, I wasn't very inspired by what I was seeing. So I created my own beautiful and functional art piece!
fold down laundry room folding table, laundry rooms, woodworking projects
I had an old HomeGoods canvas that wasn't feeling at home in my space. I decided it was the perfect piece to experiment with an art project. I'm not confident in my skills to create an original masterpiece, so I kept it simple with block letters spelling out WASH. perfect for the laundry room!
The art added a great pop of color to the small space.
But get this, there's more than meets the eye here. When I decided to use the canvas I thought it would be the perfect piece to turn into a functional folding table.
I asked my handyman to cut a piece of plywood to mount to the back of the canvas. Then he secured it to the wall with 1x4 planks, the canvas attached at the bottom with a large hinge and at the top with heavy-duty picture hanging chain. When the table is folded down it is fully supported by the brackets and when it is folded up the chain is heavy enough to hang strait down, staying hidden behind the canvas.
The canvas is secured into the upright position by a simple window latch attached to the top 1x4 plank and the top of the plywood tabletop.
Now I can fold my laundry right in the laundry room. Clothes baskets are packed full of clean, folded clothes when they leave this tiny space. Now if I just had someone to help me put it all away!

Sara Bates