Ish L
Ish L
  • Marietta, GA

Solution for this Mud Pit

Laura PettitIsh LLori J
+8

The bottom of the stairs has a large worn out area, where grass used to be. When dry, the dogs track endless dirt trails back into the house, and when wet, the dogs are tracking in mud.
I don't think grass will grow back. I am looking for some alternatives as to what to fill in these patches. I am not crazy about wood chips because they just end up spreading all over the place. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this? Thanks in advanced.
solution for this mud pit, gardening, landscape
  • Lori J

I would dig it down a bit and establish a 'landing pad' of sorts. Line with landscaping fabric, use a combination of a nice big slate stepping stone surrounded with pea gravel or river rock. The gravel/rock would help with drainage, the slate would be a dry island.

• Jan C

I agree, do a "foundation" type landing. Find one large piece of flagstone or put a row of blocks across. Dig down, lay sand and set the stone in so it doesn't rock when walked on. The stone will also file your dogs nails - an added bonus!!!! Good luck!

• Bernice H

Yikes! I love the color of the stairs! Fun!

• Bluestone, flagstone, concrete....

• Sharron W

OK! Love all of those possible solutions! LOL

• Marianne Radley

I agree with Jan C.!!

• Becky (J) P

I have a very nice sized flagstone at the bottom of mine. Works great. Did under the fence gate also because grass wouldn't grow there either due to the downspout.

• Elisabeth R

you could use bricks.

• Lori J

And if money is tight, you could make it work with cement rubble. We did our garden path that way. My hubby would like to redo it at some point with brick, but personally, I like it as is.

solution for this mud pit, gardening, landscape, This is what that path looked like before further landscape Cost of path BST blood sweat and tears
  • Ish L

Guys, I am taking Lori' and Jan's advice... I purchased a slate rock, and now I'm thinking i'm going to buy a few more and perhaps create a path to the gate, like Lori did... Thanks for all the great advice guys!

• Laura Pettit

I mixed different colors of small rocks with white gravel for contrast and filled in the problem area. I also dug a small drain off to one side to drain off the excess water