DIY Over the Door Hooks for Extra Storage in a Closet

Have you ever wanted to use over the door hooks but couldn't because the space between the top of the door and the door frame is too narrow, say from a million coats of paint? This happened to me in my new apartment and I came up with a really easy, inexpensive DIY version of over the door hooks a la MacGyver:
I used 5" x 7" aluminum flashing sheets you can get at the hardware store and simply bent them into a shape to fit over the door!
Then you just have to attach the hooks to a piece of wood and then attach whatever you want to that and hang it on your door (in my case, a DIY tool organizer).
I screwed the hooks into the top of the door, and the metal is thin enough that the door can close - problem solved!
You can see how I did made the over-the-door organizer and the entire tool closet transformation in this video

Grab Some Pool Noodles And Copy These 3 Ideas
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
Check Out These 30 Incredible Sharpie Makeovers
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
Engineer Your Space

• Chris
    Chris

yes I am going to do this. Great idea and thanks for sharing.

• P
    P

we have racks on our doors & sure enough, the weight pulled them out of alignment so closing them 'dragged' - so we swapped the barely long enough screws holding the hinges to the door jamb for 5" or 6" long flat-headed screws that got a better 'bite' into the 2x4's somewhere behind the jamb. No more sagging door!