Allison Murray
Allison Murray
  • Brownsville, TX

Easy Mason Jar Luminaries

Looking for a way to incorporate some new, fresh lighting to my front porch I went in search of inexpensive DIY options. A lot of the store-bought solar lights were either expensive or if decently priced, boring.
Instead of just settling I searched around and found some absolutely amazing lids that turned mason jars into solar lights. I was instantly sold and bought a few immediately!
This tutorial is just about as simple as it gets. You glue one thing onto another thing which makes it great for crafters of ANY experience level.
Set outside these beauties cast interesting blue shapes along my porch floor and I've gotten more than a few compliments on them.
If you're really about the DIY, I've also found and linked to a fab tutorial to make the solar light lids yourself - and with lots of the little cheapie lights going on sale right now, it's a great time to make them yourself!
Check out my tutorial over at Mom Spark for the full details!
mason jar luminaries, crafts, home decor, lighting, mason jars, repurposing upcycling
These solar mason jar luminaries are super easy to make and pretty to boot!
And look gorgeous during the day with some votives as well!
Check out my super easy tutorial at Mom Spark!
FYI - a lot are having problems with the hot glue sticking. In a newer project I used clear silicone caulk and it worked fabulously. I left that sucker out in the heat and the cold and nothing fell off anywhere. I've also heard good results with super industrial strength glues like e6000.
Allison Murray

• Kathy Conley Hamme

Where can I get solar lid for masonary jars.

• Suzanne morin

Where can I purchase solar mason jar lids?

• Sue Brooks

Where can I buy the solar jar lids?

• Allison Murray

@Sue Brooks Ebay or Amazon. Sometimes I believe that they are available at Michael's craft stores, too.

• Amy

@Sue Brooks I usually find them for about $8-$10 for a 6 pack at walmart, They might be less this time of year.

• Amy

Why not just put the marbles INSIDE the jar?...instead of glue them on...

• Allison Murray

@Amy I'm not sure if I could get a light inside with the marbles too. Also I like the texture you get from the jars being on the outside.

• Annie Doherty

Me to I like the texture on the outside, although I have put the solar lights into the necks of jars when I wanted the solar lights to hang from trees, bushes etc and they look amazing, as the glass amplifies the light and I have found the solar light stays on for much longer just a personal viewpoint

• Ethel Washington

How to make them.

• San3689859

Where do u get directions

• Katie

where do you get the $1 solar lights?

• Linda

How do you keep the rain out of the jar?

• BD

The solar lights are not watertight, I have tried using poly sealant and fingernail polish with limited success. Cutting a round acrylic disc for the inside of the lid will work but is labor intensive.

• Julie

Use waterproof silicone caulk to seal the join between the solar light and jar lid.

• Rory Erbeck

I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the jar with a glass drill bit.

• Shirley

Where do you get these solar lights in the UK ?

• Shawna Bailey

You can buy them on Amazon.uk

• Gabby Madero

Again dollar tree. You can buy the cheap solar lights for a 1$ and just pop of the solar part out.

• Sylvia lemaster

What are the stones?

• Deb

Glass beads. They are available at most craft stores like Hobby Lobby and Michaels. Flat on one side, various colors.

• Susan Gable Celia

Dollar store too👌

• Shawna Bailey

also called glass gems

• Gabby Madero

Dollar tree is the best price for these gems. 1$ for a bag of 30 large and 1$ for a bag of 50 - 60 small ones.

• Cbr22654745

would like directions printed
  • Shannon

It seems using the glue gun doesn't work. The glass gems are falling off after a day or so. Any suggestions

• Judy

I always use e6000. Perhaps you are putting on too much of it...also, I've found better to do in sections while laying jar on side to glue stones. Lastly, the glue sticks better if you wait a minute of two before applying the stones.
  • DebbieSalas

what do you put inside of the mason jar to light it up what kind of candle or what
    • Sile

a candle
    • Judy

fairy lights would work as well...glue the battery pack to lid...
  • Bps22804154

I have tried silicone caulk, E6000 glue and hot glue but the stones fall off when touched.
    • Judy

• Gnm24864505

I used hot glue, but The gems fell off days later
  • Kerri

When using the E6000 glue, do you spread it on the jar or on the beads?
  • Kerri

• Debra

I did both ways but I found spreading E6000 on jar then putting on beads was the easiest. I also used a blow dryer to speed up the dryin time. Hope that helps.
  • Kerri

When using the E6000, do you spread in on the jar or the beads?
  • Samantha Lane

If you don't have a hot glue gun,could you use superglue ?
    • Karen

I've used super glue like that on a flower pot and on a glass jar. it didn't work for me. I live in a hot dry invironment and I thought it would be ok but it melted.
    • Rosa Rossiter

I would try it. If it doesn't work, I would use something else that will work.

• Michelle Krystosek Sigworth

Where did you find the solar lids? How pricey?
    • Judi Marzolo Blindu

joannes
    • Sandy Scott Holden

https://gardentherapy.ca/mason-jar-solar-lights/ Basically, mason jar lids come as a full lid, or you can buy just the ringd. I just bought a pack to put in my oval crock pot to raise meat above the liquid.

• Cindy Huff

I really want to try this. It’s unique and beautiful.

• Angela

I've seen people using the light parts from those pathway lights from like the dollar store (the ones you stick into the ground?)

• Joy

I made mine using mason jar solar lids with attached lights. You can find them online they are not expensive and they are so beautiful. I have them hanging along my driveway and on my patios. No worrying about baterries or timers!

Good Luck!

• Deb32906093

I have made about 3 of these. the lights work for about 1 day and then then do not work after that. I even bought new batteries and have tried cheap and expensive solar stakes. Any ideas?

• Mary Lilley

Am I missing something. You mentioned batteries. What are you putting the batteries in inside the jar?

• Amber Foor

How are you getting the blue affect?

• Ros34134203

can i put a candle in it? for the light?

• Courtney

What type of light is inside?

• Rita Baer

Where can you buy the solar lids?