This old vanity came to me stripped down to its bare bones. It had lived for years in a basement and I could tell! It was slightly warped and the beautiful maple veneers were damaged. Someone had also removed the original hardware. It was time to breath some new life into this beauty!
Before. The original veneers were burled maple. The piece had previously been stripped and then left in a damp basement, so there was nothing to protect the wood. The veneer had dark spots all over and was cracked and peeling. I was a little sad about that, but my client wanted it painted anyway. I believe it was the best choice for this piece.
After I gave it a good sanding to smooth out any rough spots, primed with Rustoleum Painter's Touch primer and then gave it two coats of All Surface Enamel in stock black (low sheen) from Sherwin Williams. I finished it off with a coat of Minwax Polycrylic in satin.
I also moved the existing pulls to the bottom drawers, filled the holes in the top drawers, and gave it new knobs.
The wood on the tops was pretty rough, but I actually like the rustic feel it gives the piece. I stained them with Java Gel from General Finishes (maple is a hardwood so it doesn't stain as dark as mahogany or cherry) and gave them 3 coats of poly.