Victoria Kirton
Victoria Kirton
  • Wilbraham, MA

Builder's Grade Mirror Turned Trumeau Mirror

Like most homes, I have this plain builder's grade vanity mirror. I really really dislike it but taking it out and replacing it with two different mirrors seem like too much work...mostly the taking it out part. I could have frame it with moldings like most people do but that's no fun for me. So here is the before.

mirror builders grade turned trumeau

Plain. Misplaced. The fact that the mirror isn't perfectly lined up with the sinks drove me crazy but OK, I can work around it. I sketched out the shape of the frames on the mirror. I knew those little washable crayons would come in handy. Then I painted the outer edges with white paint. By this point, I know there is no turning back.

mirror builders grade turned trumeau
mirror builders grade turned trumeau, bathroom ideas, diy, repurposing upcycling, wall decor

The next part is putting the appliques on the mirror. This is always the hardest part for me. I can spend days and weeks just trying to figure out how I want things to look like. It is kind of pointless since I always end up changing it last minute anyway. I use contact cement to glue the appliques onto the mirror. Right about now was when I realized why I kept skipping this project. Even my crazy brain knew this was one of those projects that sound really good in my head but it wasn't going to translate well in real life.

I stared at it. I stared at it some more. I hated it. I wanted to cry. I lost some sleep trying to figure out how to fix it. As usual my solutions came around 3 in the morning. Trumeau Mirror! It was the perfect fix to hide the mirror edges. I added moldings on the top and the sides then painted it with chalk paint. After adding some wax, it was done!

I think it is a good balance to my shabby distressed cabinets.

And my antique French cabinet is the perfect finish.

Victoria Kirton

• Elizabeth

Where can you buy this trim? Is it plastic, wood....? I also have 3 irrors over my vanity but the two side ones open to shelves. They are so blahza. I won’t give them up I love them but I would like to do what you did.

• BillyandKelley Adams

Omg this is just GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! I’m in a rental home but I believe the landlord would love this but if not can it be reversed??

• Karen

What is the backing behind the mirror? How did you get the look of two mirrors with one large mirror?

• Sandra R

I love the display cabinet as much, if not more, than the mirrors! Stunning!

• Suzanna

This is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing!