Builder's Grade Mirror Turned Trumeau Mirror

Like most homes, I have this plain builder's grade vanity mirror. I really really dislike it but taking it out and replacing it with two different mirrors seem like too much work...mostly the taking it out part. I could have frame it with moldings like most people do but that's no fun for me. So here is the before.

Plain. Misplaced. The fact that the mirror isn't perfectly lined up with the sinks drove me crazy but OK, I can work around it. I sketched out the shape of the frames on the mirror. I knew those little washable crayons would come in handy. Then I painted the outer edges with white paint. By this point, I know there is no turning back.

The next part is putting the appliques on the mirror. This is always the hardest part for me. I can spend days and weeks just trying to figure out how I want things to look like. It is kind of pointless since I always end up changing it last minute anyway. I use contact cement to glue the appliques onto the mirror. Right about now was when I realized why I kept skipping this project. Even my crazy brain knew this was one of those projects that sound really good in my head but it wasn't going to translate well in real life.

I stared at it. I stared at it some more. I hated it. I wanted to cry. I lost some sleep trying to figure out how to fix it. As usual my solutions came around 3 in the morning. Trumeau Mirror! It was the perfect fix to hide the mirror edges. I added moldings on the top and the sides then painted it with chalk paint. After adding some wax, it was done!

I think it is a good balance to my shabby distressed cabinets.

And my antique French cabinet is the perfect finish.

4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
3 Brilliant Ideas How to Use Photo Frames
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Victoria Kirton

• Elizabeth

Where can you buy this trim? Is it plastic, wood....? I also have 3 irrors over my vanity but the two side ones open to shelves. They are so blahza. I won’t give them up I love them but I would like to do what you did.

• BillyandKelley Adams

Omg this is just GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!! I’m in a rental home but I believe the landlord would love this but if not can it be reversed??

• Karen

What is the backing behind the mirror? How did you get the look of two mirrors with one large mirror?

• Melanie Parker

She painted over the mirror first to make it look like there are two. You can see it in one of the first pictures

• Akc5122608

I love this! It's gorgeous. I'd like to know what kind of paint you used to paint on the mirror. How well has it held out in your bathroom?

• Racer

Nice French design on the bathroom mirror. The home improvement stores carry a lot of these wood trims. Also can be used on doors to beautify a plain door. Overstock has some beautiful French Rococo trim molding designs. The French designs are always classical and beautiful.