Jaime LaPlant
Jaime LaPlant
  • Menominee, MI

DIY Large Wooden Dog Bed

$25

I am working on building myself a new bedroom set. My dog can no longer make it up on my bed due to arthritis, so I built him his own bed to match the one I am build for myself. I bought the wood for this for less than $25!
This is a very large bed, so if you have a smaller dog, you may want to change the size.
Here are the steps I took to build this dog bed. More details can be viewed on my blog.
woodworking dog bed large wooden, diy, painted furniture, pets animals, woodworking projects
Step 1: Make your wood cuts.
Wood Cuts:
6 - 2" x 6" at 45" (base)
2 - 1" x 12" at 33" (sides)
1 - 1" x 12" at 46 1/2" (back)
1 - 1" x 4" at 45" (front)
2 - 1" x 2" at 11 1/4" (front trim)
4 - 1" x 3" at 11 1/4" (side trim)
4 - 1" x 3" at 29 3/4" (side trim)
Step 2: Build the base out of the 2"x6" boards.
Step 3: Attach the sides of the bed.
Step 4: Attach the back and the front of the bed.
Step 5: Using wood glue and finishing nails, attach the front and side trim.
Step 7: Stain or paint the dog bed. I primed and then painted this dog bed. I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch in Kona Brown.
Step 8: Add the bedding and allow your dog to enjoy their new bed!

Jaime LaPlant

• Eth33473686

What kind of wood did you use? Was it cheap and strong?

• Jaime LaPlant

Hi,

I used 2x6 studs for the base and standard grade pine for the rest. This cost me less than $25 to build. I built it 4 years ago. It is used daily and besides a corner that my puppy chewed on, it still looks just like the day I built it.

• Way33729312

What standard size mat or bed cushion for inside

• Jaime LaPlant

The inside dimensions are 33" deep x 45" wide. However, you can easily customize it to fit any bed size. If you would like to change the width, cut the 2x6s shorter or longer. If you would like to change the depth, increase or decrease the number of 2x6s you use or even substitute the 2x6s with 2x4s. Good luck building!

• Cheryl

I would love to make one that would be big enough for my 2 dogs to share. Any idea how big I would need to make it. And how much wood I would need?

• Jaime LaPlant

Hi Cheryl, It would all depend upon the size of your dogs and whether they snuggle together or prefer to spread out and not touch each other. If you have a current bed that they use together and know the dimensions of that, I would be happy to help you figure out the amount of wood to fit that.

• Linda

Aw, how cute, looks so comfy 👍

• Jeremy Bauer

Thank you for the idea and the information on building this. Like a good recipe I used the info as a solid base to start from and added for me own flavor.

• Jaime LaPlant

That's one of the great things that I like about Hometalk. You can find some great ideas and then tweak it to make it your own! Thank you!