DIY Large Wooden Dog Bed

$25

I am working on building myself a new bedroom set. My dog can no longer make it up on my bed due to arthritis, so I built him his own bed to match the one I am build for myself. I bought the wood for this for less than $25!
This is a very large bed, so if you have a smaller dog, you may want to change the size.
Here are the steps I took to build this dog bed. More details can be viewed on my blog.
Step 1: Make your wood cuts.
Wood Cuts:
6 - 2" x 6" at 45" (base)
2 - 1" x 12" at 33" (sides)
1 - 1" x 12" at 46 1/2" (back)
1 - 1" x 4" at 45" (front)
2 - 1" x 2" at 11 1/4" (front trim)
4 - 1" x 3" at 11 1/4" (side trim)
4 - 1" x 3" at 29 3/4" (side trim)
Step 2: Build the base out of the 2"x6" boards.
Step 3: Attach the sides of the bed.
Step 4: Attach the back and the front of the bed.
Step 5: Using wood glue and finishing nails, attach the front and side trim.
Step 7: Stain or paint the dog bed. I primed and then painted this dog bed. I used Rustoleum Painter's Touch in Kona Brown.
Step 8: Add the bedding and allow your dog to enjoy their new bed!

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
21 Ways To Use Those Pickle Jars You've Been Saving
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Jaime LaPlant

• Jaclyn
    Jaclyn

What are the actual dimensions when it's completely built so I can know what size dog bed to order for the insert ?

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

@Jaclyn The inside dimensions are 33" deep x 45" wide. However, you can easily customize it to fit any bed size. If you need help with this, I would be happy to help you.

• Megan Foley Grandilli
    Megan Foley Grandilli

how do you assemble the base of this bed? with nails or glue? i don't see how it get's assembled, I just see the wood that is needed.

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

@Megan Foley Grandilli I used pocket holes and screws to assemble it. You can see more details and pictures on my blog. There is a link to the blog post right after step 8 of the above.

• Sherie Milewski-Kison
    Sherie Milewski-Kison

Is there any way you could give me ideas on how to build a bunk bed from this? I have to GSP BOTH 65LBS I would so greatly appreciate it:)

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

Sorry. I have never built bunk beds for humans or dogs. This particular bed is quite heavy, so I don't think stacking one on top of the other would be safe. Maybe try finding a plan for human bunk beds and scale them down. Sorry, I wish I could be more helpful!

• Georgia Stonecipher
    Georgia Stonecipher

What would the dimensions be if I were wanting to make it 3 foot X 4 foot?

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

Hi Georgia, What dimensions are you specifically looking for? The outside of this bed is 34 1/2" x 48". The inside is 32 1/4" x 45".

• Georgia Stonecipher
      Georgia Stonecipher

I'm wondering what I would need to cut everything else at if I cut the 2X6's at 48 inches oppose to 45?

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I did not see your reply. Here are the cuts. The only changes would be length of the base, front, and back. 6 - 2" x 6" at 48" (base) 2 - 1" x 12" at 33" (sides) 1 - 1" x 12" at 49 1/2" (back) 1 - 1" x 4" at 48" (front) 2 - 1" x 2" at 11 1/4" (front trim) 4 - 1" x 3" at 11 1/4" (side trim) 4 - 1" x 3" at 29 1/2" (side trim)

• Ray Sarvis
    Ray Sarvis

I'm horrible with math. What cuts would I need if I wanted to make this frame around a crib mattress (52" x 28")? Thanks!

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

Well, I would suggest using 2x4s instead of 2x6s for the base. If you use 2x6s, you would need to use 5, but leave 1/8" gaps between the boards to account for the extra 1/2". If you use 8 - 2x4s, it should come out to exactly 28". Since you are building this for a crib mattress, be sure to measure at all steps to ensure that it will fit. Crib mattresses are not as flexible as normal dog beds and not all boards are the exact width that they are supposed to be. I am basing this on the measurements for the actual sizes as follows: 2"x4" - actual 1.5x3.5, 2"x6" - actual 1.5x5.5. Here are the cuts: 8 - 2" x 4" at 52" (base) OR 5 - 2" x 6" at 52" 2 - 1" x 12" at 28" (sides) 1 - 1" x 12" at 53 1/2" (back) 1 - 1" x 4" at 52" (front) 2 - 1" x 2" at 11 1/4" (front trim) 4 - 1" x 3" at 11 1/4" (side trim) 4 - 1" x 3" at 24 1/2" (side trim)

• Mike
    Mike

did you use screws to attach the sides and then cover the holes with the trim or did you brad nail everything? Thanks, looks great.
  • Kelli Perkins-Creech
    Kelli Perkins-Creech

I would like to have this up off the floor a little, any suggestions?
    • Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

Hi Kelli,

You could add 'feet' to the bottom at whatever height you wanted it. If you are making it this same size, I would suggest placing them in each corner and maybe one in the front and the back of the middle. This bed is heavy and you want to make sure that it is not going to bow under the weight of your dog. Or you could increase the height of the sides and back. Then, attach the floor of the bed a couple inches or however high you want from the base of the sides. Just make sure that it is attached well, because the 2x6s are heavy and it will be even heavier when your dog gets on it. Good luck building!

Jaime
    • 62q10370829
      62q10370829

Add 2x4s on bottom at ends & center to give you a 1 1/2 inches off floor.

• Mah33434383
    Mah33434383

I want to build a box so my puppies can stay in. My dog just have 13 puppies the cardboard box is just too small for them. I was thinking of 1.5'x 6' box will be fine for now something that when they get to 2 months old that I can add another 1.5' of the height?

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

Wow! Congrats on the 13 puppies! Your house is going to be busy for the next couple months! I have never raised a litter of puppies, but maybe plywood would be your best bet. I am guessing that in about 6 weeks those little guys are going to be jumping up, so you would want to make sure that whatever you build is sturdy and has plenty of support. I did a quick Google search and I found this plan. http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/home-and-family/how-to/diy-whelping-box I hope it helps you!

• Eth33473686
    Eth33473686

What kind of wood did you use? Was it cheap and strong?

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

Hi,

I used 2x6 studs for the base and standard grade pine for the rest. This cost me less than $25 to build. I built it 4 years ago. It is used daily and besides a corner that my puppy chewed on, it still looks just like the day I built it.

• Way33729312
    Way33729312

What standard size mat or bed cushion for inside

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

The inside dimensions are 33" deep x 45" wide. However, you can easily customize it to fit any bed size. If you would like to change the width, cut the 2x6s shorter or longer. If you would like to change the depth, increase or decrease the number of 2x6s you use or even substitute the 2x6s with 2x4s. Good luck building!

• Cheryl
    Cheryl

I would love to make one that would be big enough for my 2 dogs to share. Any idea how big I would need to make it. And how much wood I would need?

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

Hi Cheryl, It would all depend upon the size of your dogs and whether they snuggle together or prefer to spread out and not touch each other. If you have a current bed that they use together and know the dimensions of that, I would be happy to help you figure out the amount of wood to fit that.

• Katie
    Katie

How did you attach the boards

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

Hi Katie,

I used pocket holes made with my Kreg jig for the majority of this project. I used wood glue and finishing nails for the trim.

• Brach Jeppesen
    Brach Jeppesen

What kind of dog bed did you use?

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

Hi Brach,

I'm not sure what brand of dog bed it was, as this was 6 years ago. I know it was rectangular and I think it was memory foam for his joints. It was probably from Orvis, but I don't know that for a fact. I hope this helps.

• Jeremy Bauer
    Jeremy Bauer

Thank you for the idea and the information on building this. Like a good recipe I used the info as a solid base to start from and added for me own flavor.

• Jaime LaPlant
      Jaime LaPlant

That's one of the great things that I like about Hometalk. You can find some great ideas and then tweak it to make it your own! Thank you!

• Katie Glisson
    Katie Glisson

I'm hoping to have this built and would like to know what size pet bed to get for my girl! I may have overlooked where it was stated? What are the dimensions of the inside bed part? Thanks so much!