Diane Rothaar
Diane Rothaar
  • Woodinville, WA

Is it possible to have a deck smooth enough to dance (pivot & slide) that can weather rain?

KMS WoodworksDiane RothaarMiriam I
+4

Is it possible to have a deck flat and smooth for dancing (including pivoting and sliding feet without catching on boards or twisting an ankle) that can handle a lot of rain (in Seattle)? What if with some kind of roof that could be moved to allow sun when it finally shows up?
  • Jeanette S

Strange request...I asked my handyman hubby and he said you are asking for something that is almost impossible....but that if money was no object, you could cover the floor in plexiglass....but better be careful because it would be slick!

• Well its difficult but can be done. A solid wood deck that is a T&G type can be made just like a hardwood floor inside a house. There are lots of mahogany decks that can be finished to that type of glossy surface. But you need to be careful. Gloss means slippery. Living in WA you already suffer from lots of moisture. This will make the deck even more slippery so choose wisely when doing this type of finish. I attached a photo of a old church I did some renovations on to to long ago. This porch rebuild was on a 150 year old building. The photo shows our work in progress as well as first coat of stain prior to sealing. This deck could have been finished with a high gloss finish, but we used a satin finish. We were not concerned about being slippery as the door behind was closed off on the inside as that was the wall behind the pastor during services.

is it possible to have a deck smooth enough to dance pivot amp slide that can, decks, Almost finished first coat of stain on deckis it possible to have a deck smooth enough to dance pivot amp slide that can, decks, Still in process of wrapping and installing deck boards Here you can get idea of edge and type of boards we usedis it possible to have a deck smooth enough to dance pivot amp slide that can, decks, Railing on and prepping for paint and stain finish
  • Diane Rothaar

By the way, I have no idea why this signed me in as Foamed R. I logged in thru Facebook, where my profile is my name, Diane Heveran Rothaar. Thanks again!

• Diane Rothaar

Thank you. It doesn't have to be glossy or as smooth as hardwood floors - just not have gaps. You could dance on concrete, for example, but it's too hard on the knees (especially for us older dancers). The problem with dancing on decks I've seen is the large gaps/channels between boards result in ankle injuries. I'm hoping for at least a way we could at dance outdoors when it's not raining. Thanks again! Diane Heveran Rothaar

• Miriam I

Diane, I just wanted to let you know that I've forwarded this issue to Hometalk support. I'm not sure what happened yet, but I'll let you know asap!

• Diane Rothaar

Thank you. I got the email. I just went to my account and manually changed my name and photo.