Bombay Cat

+84
I adopted a beautiful, loving black kitty last year, BUT, I close the bedroom door, leaving her out, as she goes right for the vertical blinds. and as a renter, I can not allow her to go there, and need sleep! About four hours in, she starts yowling and scratching at the carpet, to the point where I have had to get small rugs to cover the area, and weigh it down with boxes, etc... She may want to be with me, but if I let her in the room, she goes right for the vertical blinds!! b EEK..HELP Please
bombay cat, flooring, pets animals
  • Nancy Gramm Nancy Gramm on Sep 13, 2014
    Bless your heart! I wish I could help. I have a monster cat myself, whom I adore but who's a real terror. Still, as bad as he is, he doesn't bother the blinds nor tear at the carpet. I'm sure yours only messes with the carpet because she wants to be in with you, but I'm not sure what to tell you about the blinds. Do you need them for privacy? Do you have drapes as well? I was thinking that if you could camouflage the blinds, either by drawing them and placing a piece of furniture in front of them or by using a curtain over them when they're covering the window, perhaps it might help. Good luck to you and kisses to the baby cat.
  • Z Z on Sep 13, 2014
    Aw, what a sweet kitty cat! The best I can come up with since you are a renter is to check and see if you can add a curtain rod and curtains or open the blinds and toss a blanket over the track so you can sleep, but kitty can peak underneath to see outside. That's my guess is what she's doing.
  • Carole Carole on Sep 13, 2014
    Does the cat have a scratching post it can use indoors? If not, I would get one to save the carpets. They need to scratch - it is what cats do. Play with your cat before bed and tire it out if you can. Cats are in general quite active at night and it can play havoc with your sleep and your carpets. If you change your blinds for curtains, she may go for them as well. if there is a dangling cord from the blinds, ensure it is secured so she cannot play with it. My cat used to throw itself at the roman blind on our front door, I am sure because there was a cord dangling from it. Some cat nip on her bed or one of those plug ins that releases the scent that calms kitties down might help.
  • Rachel H Rachel H on Sep 14, 2014
    My cats sleep all night on me on my bed. Took about 3 weeks of ignoring them all night and now they sleep :)
  • HippieBob HippieBob on Sep 14, 2014
    Properly raising pets, or children for that matter, is a lot of work. I would suggest a few viewings of "My Cat From Hell" on Animal Planet. When the cat starts clawing at the carpet, pick it up and take it to the scratching post you have bought for that purpose. To help the cat sleep through the night, you will need to spend time playing with him/her. Buy a few toys and have some fun with her.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Sep 14, 2014
    I know absolutely nothing about cats because I have never owned one, but my sister, the cat lover, used a spray bottle with water and every time her cat went for the door to slip out, she got sprayed. Now she will sit by the open door and not go out. And she tells me that cats hate closed doors! You could face some serious cost for damage in an apartment when you move. The series "My Cat from Hell" stresses a lot the importance of having special places for cats...scratching poles, access to high places like the top of book cases...there seems to be an inherent desire in cats to get up high...??? Get a cat buggy much like a stroller for your cat and get them outside some. My sister's cat loves her buggy!
  • Anna Erishkigal Anna Erishkigal on Sep 14, 2014
    I had this problem. Solution #1 - get a spray bottle, fill it with a solution of water and part vinegar (not too much, just enough that it smells unpleasant), and during the daytime, every time kitty goes near the blinds, spray her. Also lightly spray the blinds so she will doubly associate the blinds with the unpleasant scent. Your bedroom will smell like a Greek salad for a couple of weeks, but after a while kitty should start to avoid the blinds. Solution #2 - Most vertical blinds come so that you can clip/unclip the individual blinds from the track. Unclip them. Carefully store them in a box. Buy your own curtain (if it's lightweight you can buy those tiny curtain hooks and hang it right from the same rod. And then, if kitty climbs it, at least she'll be trashing YOUR el-cheapo curtain and not the landlord's.
  • Sheryll S Sheryll S on Sep 14, 2014
    I am no help, since I have never had that problem with any of my four kitty kats and three pups.......... they all sleep with me at night and never bother me, less it is Sadie wanting to love on me, which does not disturb me. Vertical blinds should not be damaged by a kitty?????????? If renting, take the slats off and store them and put up some inexpensive drapery. If you have ONLY vertical blinds, light obviously is not a problem, so use some cheap sheets for your drapery in that room. I should have said inexpensive sheets. I am using some white sheets from Walmart for my bedroom remodel. Then too, I live in Florida and love windows and lots of light.
  • Rosemary Kelly Rosemary Kelly on Sep 14, 2014
    Thank-you for saving a life! I'd probably try a different window covering. Does your cat have a crate you could put her in at night? Playing some interactive games might tire her out a little before bedtime. Just curious, does she try to get at the blinds if you're not home?
  • Lynn W Lynn W on Sep 14, 2014
    We also adopted a cat, and she will not use a scratching post, but we got a scratching box (not we, my husband) and she uses it all the time It is on the floor and seems to work great. Wish you luck.
  • Dianne Kurtz Dianne Kurtz on Sep 14, 2014
    If she just wants to look out the window,just roll up the blind a bit so she can look out.My cats do that to look outside to,and as a former renter I had plenty of blinds to replace.
  • FrancieM FrancieM on Sep 14, 2014
    Please do not use a spray bottle or any other physical punishment on your cat. Please do not put the cat in a crate/box for hours at a time. Why not remove the blinds and put up curtains. Living with a cat requires adjustments on our part, not punishing them for being cats. Cats are loving, social creatures and yours just wants to be with you.
  • Suzi Suzi on Sep 14, 2014
    Cats are, by nature, nocturnal and she may be wanting to get outside. If I were you, I'd pull the blinds over all the way and see if you can install an inexpensive shade to keep it dark enough for you to sleep, but still offer her a peep hole to see outside.
  • Sybil Nicol Sybil Nicol on Sep 14, 2014
    This product will set off a spray/hiss of air she will not like when she gets near the blinds http://www.amazon.com/Ssscat-PDT00-13914-SSSCAT-Cat-Training/dp/B000RIA95G
  • E. Platt E. Platt on Sep 14, 2014
    Have her de-clawed.
    • See 4 previous
    • Gaynor Jones Gaynor Jones on Sep 14, 2014
      YES, oh my gosh STARTLING advice! I am giving you the benefit of the doubt E. Platt that you just aren't aware how cruel de-clawing is. As others have mentioned, most (any good vet) won't do this anymore. It's been proven that de-clawing also creates MORE behavioral problems, some of them being going to the bathroom all over the house as the cat can no longer dig in the litter box because of pain in the paws. OK, so after I got that off my chest, Kathleen is there anyway you can temporarily remove those blinds and put up some inexpensive curtains with the landlords permission? Some can be good and work with you making changes as long as you ask and you could take down the curtains and keep them when you leave then put the blinds back up. That way your cat could come in the room with you, which is what it sounds like she desperately wants. No more banging blinds, no more clawing carpet, happy cat, happy you:) Plus get her all the toys and cat scratcher anyway;)
  • Diane Bishop Diane Bishop on Sep 14, 2014
    I use squirt guns when my kitten was swinging from our curtains. I cant declaw after hearing what my vet had to say about it. My cat knows what the squirt gun looks like now. Wr only used it twice andvproblem solved.
  • Delyse Tomaselli Delyse Tomaselli on Sep 14, 2014
    E. Platt Perhaps you are insensitive to the cruelty of declawing a cat. In the U.S there has been such an outcry over this torturous proceedure that many states have banned de-clawing cats. Wisdom of the ages askes us to at least "do no harm"!
  • Jennifer Jennifer on Sep 14, 2014
    My cats are perpetual clawers too and while I would LOVE to get them declawed, when I discovered that what they do is essentially amputate their little paw's at the first knuckle, I just couldn't bring myself to do that to them. I wouldn't want someone to cut off my fingers for convenience sake you know? The spray bottle isn't cruel, it is a teaching tool that will not harm your cat. But personally I would recommend leaving the contents to water as anything with an ammonia smell can incline your cat to start spotting or marking (peeing) wherever that smell lands. If you are worried about the blinds, open them up about 3-4 inches and put up curtains to help with any privacy issues that creates. And get them something to help them not claw on everything in sight. Good Luck!
    • Z Z on Sep 14, 2014
      @Jennifer please check out my comment below. I should add that my cats can still curl their "toes" around my finger to get my attention.
  • Jaime LaPlant Jaime LaPlant on Sep 14, 2014
    I have three cats and they like to look outside. Try leaving the blinds partially open - just enough so she can look out. Also, if you do not have a scratching post, buy one for her, sprinkle some catnip on it, and encourage her to use it. It will save on the carpet. Good luck!
  • P P on Sep 14, 2014
    First of all make sure her nails are trimmed regularly. My kitty only scratches when his nails are tool long...as for the vertical blinds, use a spray bottle with water and give her a squirt when she is being naughty. Make sure she has plenty of your attention and other toys and a scratching post also.
  • Brandy Kirlin Brandy Kirlin on Sep 14, 2014
    Personally, I used a squirt bottle on my little terror when she was young. They quickly learn what "No" means and a little water isn't abuse. Also, on things I didn't want her on, I used double sided tape and/or plastic wrap. Cats don't like their feet sticking to it. Also there are movement activated things (see Sybil Nicole above) that would help too. Start trimming her claws, front in particular if she is inside/outside. Personally, I think it's silly that people think cats can't be trained. It just takes time and patience. My cat is now 17, has never clawed furniture or drapes/blinds, and is healthy as a horse with all her claws!
    Oh, get her a cardboard scratcher, my kitty loooooved it.
  • Darla Darla on Sep 14, 2014
    My cats won't use a scratcher, but they love to scratch cardboard boxes. I flattened a box and left it on the floor, and they scratch on that.
  • Pat Pat on Sep 14, 2014
    Get a cat tree. Also there is a spray that repels cats. Try that.
    • Kathleen Kathleen on Sep 15, 2014
      @Pat Sadly, she is resistant to the sprays, and she has a big scratching post already:(
  • Z Z on Sep 14, 2014
    First off, I want to let you know how much I love cats. So much so that I named our daughter after my first calico kitty, Katie. All my cats have always had human names because, well, it just seems right. As for the photo shared above, I'm sorry, but those are butcher jobs taken of poor precious kitties that were not taken to a vet that knew what they were doing. And it breaks my heart that anyone that would call themselves a vet would do such work on a precious kitty. I have four cats laying around me at this very moment. They all turned seven at various times earlier this year. They were declawed by a vet that specializes in declawing during the year they all turned two. They all recovered with ease, no crying and very little more licking at their paws than normal. None of them showed any signs of discomfort at all as they came off the anesthesia. They may have slept a tad more the first day, but after that they were back to their same playful selves. Had I not been swayed by such photos, and they break my heart each time I see them, I wouldn't have waited so long. That just happened to be when I came to my senses, realizing that my beloved Max cat that passed at the age of 17 a couple years before these sweet kitties were born. He was declawed when we got him as a kitten. He never had one problem at all. We planned on his being an indoor cat because of the lack of front claws, but he insisted on wanting outside on a daily basis and was the best hunter I'd ever had. And I've had plenty of cats throughout my life. I can tell you from experience, that these four cats were better off AFTER they were declawed. Cats have a natural tendency to claw to at things. It's their way of stretching and covering "things" up. Things we as humans often can't see. If you don't keep their claws trimmed very short, they can get them caught in upholstery and wicker. That can be very painful for them. My cats still "claw" at things, but they no longer cry for me to come and help them remove their claws from whatever they got them caught in. And they no longer have to be upset when I had to trim their claws. All in all, if anyone decides to have their cats declawed, do your research when looking for the right vet for the job. I should add that my cats can still curl their "toes" around my finger to get my attention.
    • See 2 previous
    • HippieBob HippieBob on Sep 15, 2014
      @Z I suggest anyone considering the inhumane act of de-clawing check this website first: http://www.declawing.com/
  • E. Platt E. Platt on Sep 14, 2014
    D. Tomaselli - Fact: There is not one state that has banned the declawing of house cats. Tendonectomy may be the way to go. For additional information go to: veterinarypartner.com
  • Angie Angie on Sep 14, 2014
    Don't de-claw, it is a cat! I agree about leaving the blinds up slightly. I have three cats and they did the same till I left them up and got curtains to cover the windows. They like to sit on the sills and look out. You need lots of distractions like all the ones mentioned. My cats LOVE the popup tunnels and cubes that connect. good luck and you have a beautiful breed (Bombay) cat they are natural hunters.
    • Kathleen Kathleen on Sep 15, 2014
      @Angie you are totally right. She is a hunter for sure, and nice when icky bugs enter the apartment-lol I do life the blinds during the day now, and open hte window if warm outside as well. I just have to be careful, as she will stretch to the highest point she can reach sometimes. Thanks:)
  • Linda Linda on Sep 14, 2014
    DO NOT DECLAW! Play with the cat for about 15 minutes before you go to bed. Get the kitty a card board scratcher. One that lays on the floor and a vertical one. If you have a window where you can add a window seat for the kitty do that also. I have 4 and have had up to 8 and have never had a cat scratch any furniture. When they have these items to scratch they shed their nails & you do not need to trim. The water squirting tends to scare them and for a lot of cats won't distract them for long. The cat is bored.
    • Kathleen Kathleen on Sep 15, 2014
      @Linda she actually loves to tear apart cardboard boxes, which makes a huge mess, but sometimes I give her one so she is occupied:)
  • Marcia Marcia on Sep 14, 2014
    I have a cat that was always jumping on my desk while I worked, I purchased a scat mat similar to this. Now all I do it scratch the vinyl and she runs off (don't need to turn it on anymore.) You can move it around as needed. http://www.petco.com/N_4294943223/Scat-Mats.aspx
  • Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz on Sep 14, 2014
    My daughter adopted a Bombay, she would kennel the kitty at night in the room with her. After a time she would let the kitty out for the night and if the kitty got naughty or wild she would kennel him again. It took a few weeks of this "training" but now he is a good boy all night. Of course there are nights that he gets in trouble and ends up in the kennel. But nobody/kitty is good all the time.
    • Kathleen Kathleen on Sep 15, 2014
      @Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz someone told me to do this, and thanks for the idea. My children each have a cat, but not neay as active as mine-lol
  • R.s. Anderson R.s. Anderson on Sep 14, 2014
    Sounds like she may need a companion cat to play with her at night. Cats are night creatures
  • Is this new behavior? Has she always done this? (because you said you adopted her last year) did you just move in to this place? If the behavior just started sounds like she is in heat, if she has always done it, then she has some behavior issues that you need to address. Cats really do not like change and they like to be outside. I have had cats for many many years and my oldest cat passed away 2 years at the age of 21 and he was an indoor /outdoor cat and was not declawed. Declawing will not solve the problem it is just a temporary bandaid over a bigger issue. I would like more information about how old the cat is, if the behavior is new, have you just moved, changed her food, or any other changes in the household.
    • Kathleen Kathleen on Sep 15, 2014
      @The Garden Frog with C Renee I adopted her when she was 4 months old, and we have not moved. She had been in a home with other cats, as she is a rescue, but in my apartment, she is the only cat. She is very attached to me, and is spayed, but I signed a contract that I would not declaw her. and I won't, as if she gets outside she will need her claws to defend herself. She gets out sometimes, and luckily stays by my apartment, and definitely loves to be outside, but the complex I live in does not want any pets outside without a leash. I just bought a cat harness, so I can walk her, but I haven't been able to get it on her yet...
  • Yllig Lu Yllig Lu on Sep 14, 2014
    Get a dog instead ;¬)
  • Gu3mom Gu3mom on Sep 14, 2014
    There are many possible solutions. Here's another: Take the vertical blinds down and store them until you move. If you need privacy, put removable vinyl film over the window which can also come off when you move. Please, do not de-claw!