Louise
Louise

I have a zillion baby hostas that have come up around mature ones I transplanted last fall. I'd like this area to fill

DmotanSue KieneRut8492704
+10

in with more hostas, but if all of these mature, it will be way too crowded. Also, with my recent plans to do what I can to make my yard inhospitable to snakes, I'm afraid if my hostas bunch together too much, they'll create what I want to avoid -- a cozy snake environment. What do you suggest?
i have a zillion baby hostas that have come up around mature ones i transplanted last, gardening
  • 3po3

Do you have problems with snakes now? Why are you so concerned about snakes? They are unlikely to be poisonous, and they might help control more dangerous pests.

• 3po3

I just read your next question, which answers my question about why you're worried about snakes. But again, it's rare that they are poisonous.

I think you're going to have to weigh what you most want, Louise: it's pretty hard to have a lush yard and ensure that is is snake free. (As to the excess of hostas, either keep expanding that area, or pot them up and give them to friends.)

• Dorothy

Dig them up this fall and send them to me? Half serious on that (would be happy to get them and pay shipping). If not, dig and transplant to other areas, give to friends, have a yard sale? Cut flower spikes before they set seed if you don't want babies each year.

• Lola M. Marsal

I too would love to have them!If only....

• Louise

Interesting info. Thanks!

• Bonnie

Lucky you,Louise!You evidently have perfect growing condition for Hostas there!! You could also add some Lily of the Valley because they would do well in same environment. Get a cat, feed it in the garden, keep it happy and it will keep your snakes away!

• MARY KERN

I have huge hostas outside with large flowers flowers that had a beautiful blooms, the smell was devine.. you mentioned snakes... i have been wondering about these huge holes, at least 8" wide... should I be afraid of snakes or something else???

• Louise

8 inches wide? That's huge! I hope it's not snakes that large. I know little to nothing about snakes so I really can't answer your question. 8 inches!! Wow!!

• MARY KERN

Thanks Louise.... The first hole was dug out & I put some moth balls down it... It must have come up like a ft. away, from the first hole... I was thinking could it be something like a ground hog??? What else could it be??

• Rut8492704

Most likely a ground hog. Snakes have a tiny hole - like an inch. I have found that if you pinch off the seed pods before they burst open, you can stop the spread of the hostas. Otherwise, they will be everywhere the next year. I dig up the babies, place a sign at the end of my driveway - Free Plants - and they are gone in a couple of days.

• Sue Kiene

Snakes have small holes but groundhogs usually do not come up to flower beds near a house so and usually they tend to want to eat everything that is near their hole. Regarding the babies, as Ruthie said pot them up in plastic cups or whatever is handy and either offer free plants or an honor system sign and they will be gone quickly.

• Dmotan

Moth balls r not good for ur environment Put sulfur down as snakes don't like it. Remember black snakes run the poison snakes away.