Louise
Louise

I bought a decent-sized hellebores last fall and divided it into three plants and put them in my shady front yard. They

Douglas HuntSherry BLouise
+3

haven't grown much at all this summer. It's been awfully hot, but I have actually watered them some (I'm bad about neglecting my plants, sometimes.). One has put out no new growth. See them here. Is there anything I should do or will they grow more later? And when do they need fertilizer?
This one and another similar to it have new growth.
This one has no new growth. Why?
This one has no new growth. Why?
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

1st year they sleep, second year they creep, third year they leap :) I wouldn't put any fertilizer down until it cools off.

• Judy S

My Hellebores are very forgiving........thank goodness. I do nothing much and they're still growing. ;-D

• Louise

Oooooh, so they're like ivy with the sleep, creep and leap, huh? Thanks for the info.

I agree that you'll just need to be patient with your hellebores. They should take off next spring. I've never fertilized my hellebores, but they certainly wouldn't object to a good top-dressing of compost in the spring.

• Sherry B

never heard the sleep, creep, and leap..what other flowers tend to do this? My hellebores look horrible every spring but turn out beautiful every year.

Sherry, this is a common garden mantra in most of the country for perennials, shrubs and trees. It does vary by plant, and is on a more accelerated pace in places like Florida, where there is almost a year-round growing season, but the concept pretty much holds. Basically, the first year you plant something new, it spends getting acclimated to its new home, the second year you're likely to see a little growth, but most of the good stuff going on will be below the ground, the third year, if you've done everything right, you'll seed good flush of growth above ground.