DIY Factory Cart Coffee Table

$80.00
Advanced

I wanted one of the restored factory cart coffee tables from Restoration Hardware for Christmas a couple of years ago. But, with a hefty $1,200 + price tag that just wasn't possible. My husband being the sweetie that he is, decided to make me one from scratch. Here is a link to the post on my blog http://mingledelements.com/2011/08/antique-warehouse-cart-coffee-table/. Below is the link to the post on my husband's blog.
This is the finished project proudly displayed in our living room. The following pictures are written from my husband's point of view.
For my reproduction, I cut 14″ diameter wheel centers from 3/16″ plate with my plasma cutter. The smaller holes are 2 1/4″ diameter, cut with a hole saw.
I used parts from 3″ steel casters for the end wheels. The rest of the steel parts were built from scratch. Here are the pieces fresh from the blasting cabinet.
The vintage corner pieces are designed so that stake sides can be installed. I simplified the design and installed corners made from 2″ angle iron. The end wheel mounts are also made from 2″ angle iron. The lower wheel support is made from 3/4″ pipe. The upper wheel pivot is made from 5/8″ axle stock. I think the end wheels look too much like modern casters. I intend to scratch build new end wheels that will look more like the vintage parts.
I made the axle mount from 2″ angle iron and 1 1/2″ x 1/4″ bar stock. The center is made with 1/2″ i.d. x 1/8″ wall tubing. The axle is 1/2″ and is 24″ wide. The rim on the side wheel is 1 1/4″ x 1/8″ steel. I spot welded one end to the wheel center. Next, I spot welded in several places as I bent the steel around the circumference of the center. Finally, I finish welded all the way around as I turned the wheel on an axle held in a vise.
I built the wood structure from 1″ x 6″ pine boards. Pocket holes were used to join everything together. I worked the platform with a file and kicked it around on the street to give it a well used look. For a finish, I chose Minwax mission oak combination stain and polyurethane.

Taunnie

• Jenise Hampton

Hello!! I love this, but am pretty sure if I DIY this, I would mess up terribly. Are you possibly selling this table or able to make another one for purchase? :)
  • Msu31339767

What are the dimensions of your industrial cart coffee table height, width and length?

• William F. Teaff

I have a cart but it is missing a wheel on one end? Where can I find a replacement or get another set?

• Lyn21615712

Why don’t you make , and sell these metal parts... like a kit. Then someone like me , that can’t wels, could make one of these with my own wood. I could handle the building part. Thanks. Great project.

• Pam-ella

Wow, beautiful!