Asked on Sep 14, 2014

Removing plastic square tile in my bathroom and kitchen

Smb228Jan LoehrLiz
+8

How do I remove this?
Plastic tile
  • Charlene
    Charlene

I think you might be able to pry it off with a pry bar...or even try heating lightly with a hair dryer to see if it will come up easier.

• Nancy McDonald Moulton
    Nancy McDonald Moulton

I broke the first piece off with a screw driver. Then I used a small putty knife and starting at the corner of the tile was able to "flick" most of them off. They were clean and I donated them. I still had the glue to deal with.

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

Should be able to apply new ceramic tile right over the glue.

• Renata
    Renata

No No No..you have to scrap all the glue off!! other wise the new tile or what ever will not stick properly

• Marion Nesbitt
    Marion Nesbitt

My tiler installed porcelain tile right over old sticky tile that wouldn't come off, and over the glue residue that was left on the ones that did. That was 6 years ago. The glue used for these tiles is probably so old it is like a surface rather than an adhesive.

• Barb
    Barb

I did ceramic over ceramic, and it's still there.

• Liz
    Liz

For anyone who has plastic tile, would like a new look, but doesn't want to spend major $$$, here's a tip: Just paint over the plastic tile. First, paint on a good primer recommended for plastic, and then paint over it in the color of your choice. Lots of people who want to save money, paint over ceramic tile, so why not paint over your plastic tile? I did this over a plastic brick wall, and it's beautiful. Take a nice trip with the money you save!!

• Jan Loehr
    Jan Loehr

I have painted two fireplace tile surrounds in my home...one in the den and the other in the master BR. My tiles were ceramic and I used two coats of Oil Based primer and two coats of my color choice...both areas have remained looking beautiful and have held up very well. I would recommend two coats of primer for plastic and two coats of your color choice for durability not one coat of primer.

• Smb228
    Smb228

We pulled all the old tile off and used a heat gun to get all the adhesive off the wall.