Tracy W
Tracy W
  • Orland Park, IL

An Old Refrigerator Gets a New Look With WALLPAPER! **UPDATED - 2018!

$40

My old refrigerator worked fine but the white enamel began to show signs of rust and was becoming more and more difficult to clean. So I bought beadboard wallpaper, added some wood trim and added some handles. I love the result! Someday I will buy a fancy stainless steel fridge but until then, this will be just fine.
wallpaper refridgerator refinish new look, appliances, diy, kitchen design, painting, wall decor
This is was my original refrigerator - dated and rusting. Yuck!
The BEFORE - complete with paper and magets and clutter. I removed the wood look (lol) handles with a screw driver. Every fridge is different and my screws were on the top and bottom of the freezer door - they came off very easily. Just look at your own fridge and I'm sure you will find the screws holding the handles on.
Here is the headboard wallpaper - it is not contact paper - it is traditional pre-pasted wallpaper. I followed the directions as if I was putting it on a wall. I washed the surface, painted it with white primer and simply put the wallpaper on the surface. I then added wood trim which was 1/4 birch underlayment cut into strips. I then painted it all white.
Here is the birch underlayment wood trim to give it a more custom look. I didn't used nails because I didn't want to damage the fridge. I glued it on - I had to apply pressure for a few minutes and I used a LOT of the Power Grab but one it adhered it was AWESOME. I was quite excited!
wallpaper refridgerator refinish new look
Here is a close up of how I added the pull knob on the freezer. I used an anchor and added a screw to it. Then once it was in and sturdy, I used a hack saw and removed the head of the screw. Then I simply screwed on the traditional cabinet pull know. I bought a rosette at Hobby Lobby to make it look more finished.

I used PowerGrab by Loctite. It is like a Liquid Nails but I find it to adhere a bit better, no smell and cleans up really well with soap and warm water. Use a good size bead all the way around and then hold it in place for about two minutes to make sure it adheres.
I bought inexpensive pulls at Hobby Lobby and simply spray painted them silver to match the other hardware in the kitchen.

I drilled a hole into the metal fridge and used plastic anchors to create a screw hole. I then simply attached the lower handle with screws. For the freezer, I used a headless screw and screwed it into the anchor and then screwed on a door pull. They are very sturdy! -)
Here is the final result! It looks SO much better!
It really blends nicely I think.
UPDATE - June 2-2018! The fridge has held up SO well! I simply wipe it down with a damp cloth. The cabinet in the original pics shifted on the wall so I decided to update the area with open shelving instead. But the fridge still complements that wall.
I know some people were quite direct saying they didn't like that the fridge didn't match the cabinets. LOL - I personally don't like the cabinets very much and it would have been difficult to get this to match. But I do have other bead board accents in my kitchen so it actually blends in very nicely with the rest of the kitchen. But everyone has their own tastes - if not the world in which we live would be VERY boring! Have a wonderful day! And thank you SO much for the kind words and compliments - they truly make my day.

To see more: http://generalsplendour.blogspot.com/2014/09/ugly-refrigerator-makeover.html

• Sandra

How did you replace the handles for opening

• Trista Nicole

Is it lasting well? Any parts come off?

• Trista Nicole

Did you have to sand the area where you glued the wood on?

• Jewellmartin

Did you have to buy a whole roll of wallpaper, or do you have suggestions as to where to buy fridge door size scraps?

• Tracy W

I would have no idea where you could buy scraps. I would think you need to buy a whole roll.

• Lin

Beautiful! how did you change the handles from the old fridge?

• Jennifer Sams

I guess we go to YouTube... Lol!
    • Dana

She says...drilled a hole into the metal fridge and used plastic anchors to create a screw hole. I then simply attached the lower handle with screws. For the freezer, I used a headless screw and screwed it into the anchor and then screwed on a door pull. They are very sturdy!

• Charlie Hentz

Could also just screw into the wood frame portion, from the backside before installing it as you would for cabinets, making sure you keep tight and use enough surface are to make sturdy (frig are heavier 'door' than on cabinets).

• Charlie Hentz

• Tracy W

Sorry for the delay - I simply unscrewed the old handles and then drilled new holes with anchors. to accommodate the new handles from Hobby Lobby.

• Bren Macias

Job well done..i want to know, what are the exact names of the pulls you use for the handles..im not really close to a hobby lobby. perhaps they are at home depot? thank you for your response, and how did you attach the handles?
    • Dana

I presume you can get any at your local hardware shop. I would get something that matched your cabinetry hardware

• Katherine Somma

Since my handle coincidently broke yesterday for the 2nd time last night,this is the perfect idea.Its beautiful!!

• Tracy W

I would have not idea of the pulls. I found them in a bin in the Hobby Lobby drawer pull section. I'm sure you could find something comparable and spray paint it like I did. Good luck!

• Joyce Grindstaff

Any Ideas how to upgrade a white side-by-side? Would this project be an option?

• Dustin Estes

You can buy stainless steel contact paper at Home Depot and cover it with that and then paint the rest of it a gray or black like the ones you see in the store

• Gale O'Neal

Yes you can! I believe it was done on a restoration show I saw. I found a picture on line with it done.

• Bsc27060987

The pulls that you used. Could the original holes from old handles be used?. Also the wallpaper says prepasted. Is that like the contact paper that the back peels off?

One more question. What size sheets are the printable patterns? Does it come like in a roll to cut and measure?

Your refridger looks great. Thanks

• Lyn

Wallpaper comes pre-pasted. You just put it in water to wet the paste. It isn't contact paper.

• Darcie

What a great idea. Fantastic job. Suggestion do not wish for Stainless anything, all marks show.

• Barb

This is the best idea I have seen on Hometalk! I have a frog and freezer in my garage that are a mess. I am doing this😄.

• Denise Weick

There’s a cleaner that greatly refuses marks & fingerprints

• Mary knight

Get the stainless finish that repels fingerprints. However, I recently read that stainless is no longer "in".!!

• Renee Labrenz

Brilliant! BTW I have been using the Matha Stewart bead board and tile look wallpaper for years. Great stuff! Again, brilliant and thank you for sharing.

• Sharon

That is such a great idea

• Dorene Lewis

I think it looks great! Better than stainless! If your fridge dies do the same with the next one.

• Tracy W

Thank you! Your comment made me very happy! Appreciate your very kind words!

• Tracy W

The holes for my handles were on the top of the door so I couldn't use those. I had not problem drilling into the fridge because anything would be better than the way it was. LOL If your holes are on the front, I'm sure you could use them for any hardware you find! It is not contact paper - it was normal wallpaper. I simply wet it, folded it on itself like the instructions stated and then applied it to the door. I waited for it to dry an then painted everything all at once. This was a single roll of wallpaper. Hope this helps!

• Drp4231047

I would love to do this. how did you remove the handles?

• Lea5551495

most fridges have little "set screws" on the side of the handles. You will need a set of Allen wrenches if this is the case.

• Tracy W

There were screws on the top and bottom of the handles on my particular fridge. Just take a good look and you can usually find the way they are adhered. Good luck!

• Sheryl Stahlnecker

If that's wallpaper, how would you keep it clean and white?

• Felicia

If it is painted with washable paint , I think that would seal it like a wall or cabinet door etc.

• Tracy W

I painted it with normal white wall paint. It has held up really well! I simply wipe it down gently with a damp cloth.

• Chandra

Love the new look👏👏 How did u attached the beautiful handle on the refrigerator door?

• Tracy W

I simply drilled holes in the door where I needed them to be, pounded in plastic anchors and then adhered the handles. Very easy.

• Ginny Aragon

I have a 2 door by side by side... how would I incorporate the same method?... My fridge works fine but doing the same with the rust coming through.

• Tom

Just do each door separately. Just be sure the rails line up level. Should look pretty good,

• Tracy W

I would do the same thing but I would probably make the wood trim thinner.

• Ginny Aragon

• Tracy W

I would use the same method but I would probably use a thinner trim. Good luck.

• Ginny Aragon

• Rr

Where did you find beadboard wallpaper? Is it self stick?

• Jenny Evon

Birch Lane ( York Wallpaper Co.)

• Teresa Teter

Home Depo online. Not

self stick but beautiful!

• Tracy W

I bought mine from Menards - a Midwestern Home Improvement store. Check most stores in the wallpaper section - most stores have it on the shelves. Or they used to.

• Cyn

Fabulous! What do you mean by underlayment? Masonite or 1/4” plywood or?

• Allen

Underlayment is a plywood product.

• Tracy W

This is a birch product - VERY thin and used for underlayment under flooring. It is very smooth and easy to work with - I use it for everything! Ask a worker at a home improvement store and they can help you. This is from Lowes. They will even cut it for you.

• Cynthia Davis

I love you idea! That is so awesome! Do you think it would work on a chest type freezer?

• Monique

Wallpaper is easily torn & will get dirty quickly as using the handles to a fridge occurs very often! How will you keep it from ripping & how will you manage to keep it clean?? Great look & idea otherwise!

• Jerry

If you notice, any hand contact will be on the wood trim surface, not the wallpaper. Shouldn't be a problem.

• Trudy

She painted it so if paint is washable then it will clean.

• NCbulldoglover

Wallpaper is paintable, which she did, so she can wipe off just as she does cabinets and ripping should not be a problem with the wood strips around the edges. I love it. Looks soooo much better. Great job!

• Offaly

HI Monique, Instead of wall paper you could use adhesive contact. I did it on my fridge in a soft marble effect and it looks great. Very easy to wipe over with a damp cloth.

• Reflector

This is such a cool idea. really well done!

• Lynn Goins

I think I might have to copy this!!!! Good job!! Great creativity!!

• Tracy W

Thank you - It has been years and it really looks the same as it did when I first did this. If it did get spotted or dirty, I simply wiped it clean very gently. It has held up SO well.

• Denise

Fantastic idea!

• Jamie Hall Beam

Can you please post a pic of yours? That sounds more along the lines of what I'd like to do to mine!

• Ahh22760429

Is there a way to stain the bead board paper?

• Tracy W

I have no idea but you could always test it in a small piece before you tried it.

• Jerry Rall

this is flaming gorgeous!!

Where did your get your hardware?

• Dena Reno

Hobby Lobby, according to her description

• Tracy W

Hobby Lobby - not sure if they make them anymore but I'm sure there is something comparable.

• Syl25458794

How do you remove the brown stains spotsof a fridge? I've tried spray paint which is good for a while but then the spots show through again.

• Dena Reno

First, cover the stains with Gripper... then paint it.

• Darlene Bogumil

I sanded the entire door by hand wiped it down, then brushed on one of the better Kilz primer - let it dry overnight then rolled on an appliance paint. Turned out great & still good 3 yrs later.

• Darlene Bogumil

• Ver13624159

This is fabulous. How do u cut the wood. I have some hollow core doors I’d like to convert like this

• Tracy W

I used a miter saw. Very easy. I would check on craigslist for an inexpensive used one - but you can use them for so many things I couldn't do any projects without one.

• Nancy Bridges

I just have to know... how in the world did you have the guts to drill the hardware holes into the fridge? I would have felt way nervous imagining the cooling would be compromised. Sometimes my brain stops me from doing things like this thinking the worst will happen. YIKES!! Your project really has inspired me to take more chances!

• Blackpearl

I personally would first attempt gluing the metal hardware with e6000. That glue is amazing.

• Tracy W

Hello Nancy - I was a bit nervous drilling the holes for the new handles but I knew the holes would be shallow and not compromise the function of the fridge. It all turned out very well and the fridge is still fine. Thank you.

• Joyce Walker

Could you make it look stainless steel? All my appliances are stainless except the fridge.

• Thi8725099

Home Improvement Stores and Amazon sell 'stainless steel paint' or a 'stainless steel adhesive covering' for appliances.

• Melissa Trace

I have seen 'stainless steel' backsplash material that may work - however there is usually a slight pattern

• Debra BENEDICT

It will look cheap,buy the real deal.Buy on facebook or craigslist.People.move and sell everyday.

• Linda R

My son-in-law, who is a painter by trade, painted mine using a technique he learned from a peer using a silver metallic and then adding brush strokes of a darker color. No one has ever guessed that it was not actually stainless steel. I wish I could tell you more about the technique he used.

• Dorothy Galberth

any time you paint metal use a liquid sand first

like wilbond

i even use it on wood pieces if it is greasy or grimmy from the oils in the kitchen

then use a very fine wet sandpaper to the surface

get a tack cloth from the paint store or paint area of lowes or homedepot

prime with a metal primer

let dry

then spray several light coats of the paint so it doesnt run

let it dry in between coats

• Natalie B Frazier

Could you post a pic?

• Stephanie

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY ONE OF THE MOST ABFAB PROJECTS! You GO girl!

• LD

Better to refurb than throw away in the dump. Saves our planet and you from more harmful material in our environment.

• Pat Benson Vogel

Beautiful! Love it and your kitchen is gorgeous! Your cabinets fell off the wall? How does that happen? Hope no one got hurt!

• Tracy W

It didn't fall completely off the wall! The glue at the top of the cabinet dried out and the cabinet semi fell from its original space. Once it once I removed it, I liked the way it looked without it and I really liked the concept of open shelving. :-)

• Cheryl Lewis

I don't normally reply to these, but I gotta say...you did an amazing job! Impressed & inspired all the way around. Thanks for the share!

• Teresa Colon

I think it looks.fabulous!! When u r on a.short budget u just have to make the best of it!! Great job!!

• Bruce Nuesse

Cabinets these days are not built very strong and I've seen others that fall apart. The refrigerator looks awesome though, good job and now I'm ready to try the same thing on an old fridge we keep in the garage.

• Sandra

I don’t understand the instructions regarding the freezer handle. Do you install the handle before you put the wood frame on the freezer! You did a beautiful job. I love the look of the big fridge disappearing.

• Tracy W

I drilled thru the wood and inserted an anchor then added a headless screw. Hope this helps.

• Carolyn Middleton Yaeger

My stove is white and rust marks on side and the control panel looks awful. What could I do ?

• Alison Bulick Gilroy

Couldnt you sand it with fine steel wool a d then use enamel paint to give it a face lift? Maybe replace the knobs?

• Shannon Proctor

Yes you can, it will look beautiful at the end... I sand down my stove then I spray painted it, of course I used enamel paint and rust free...

• VelindaDawn

It looks great! I'm not a big fan of "matchy" things, it blends well & what really matters is that you like it! Great job!

• Rebecca Sebring

I love this but am concerned about how this idea has held up to the cleaning a refrigerator takes. Any thoughts?

• Wendy Jaikaran

She showed you a picture of the refrigerator 1 year later.. It seems to have held up well.

• Tracy W

Hello - it has held up exceedingly well. I wipe it down with a damp cloth and it looks the sam as it did when I did it.

• Layne

Beautiful idea,but what would I do about the stove to make it just a gorgeous?

• Wendy Jaikaran

The same treatment.

• Jenia

This this young lady came up with the simple an inexpensive idea until she can afford the appliance of her dreams I think she did an absolutely wonderful creative job you can get creative for your own stove

• Connie

Looks nice and love the handles.... Don't know If you know it or not but they have a spray paint for appliances and one to reserfaced tubs. I used it on my fridge.. It was so easy to do and it came out great.

• Lesa Hampton

High intensity heat paint. Replace handles

• Ros33354521

Few different questions: 1) can we do same way then use silver( stainless steal look?or can u spray right onto frig itself?? 2) can’t u prime and pain the frig n freezer right on top of old frig? Or u wanted the cabinet look? Sorry no one will answer me bc no one will understand me😤

• Dallas Preuitt Boyer

I understand you! Yes, I have seen them paint refrigerators before. With proper priming I think you could make it any color you want.

• Rebecca Morales

You can also get those metal crafting sheets and glue them on top after you prime and paint a color you want as the backdrop

• Mary

Yes, you can clean the refrigerator, purchase a spray paint ( enamel ) that has primer and paint combined for appliances. Same for the stve, but use the High Heat paint in enamel.

• Berky Valerio

There are kits that include everything you need... Try home depot, lowes even online. You'd be surprised how easy it is. YouTube has instrumental videos that can help you as well. Good luck!

• Debbie

Two solutions. There is a stainless steel paint by Giani that will work on appliances.

EZ Faux Decor makes a PVC contact paper in stainless steel finish. Very durable!

• Teresa

Looks amazing!

• Beth Parsons

I think she was going for a built in look that painting or stainless steel film would not have given her.

• Cheryl Williamsen

Did you use enamel primer or a rust/blocking primer in the event the rust spots bleed through the water/based wallpaper paste?

• Crw4444

What is the Size of 1 unit??

• Fran Wojs

My question actually is about the ceiling "box" that you have. Was that formerly an "industrial light fixture"? I have this kind of light in my kitchen and I hate it and want to get something else however all the ceilings are concrete "popcorn" and I would have to replace it with another fixture the same size due in order to not show the ceiling where the old fixture was. This gave me an idea of how to do this. Comments/suggestions welcome. Thank you.

• Sue

Where is the after picture???

• Laura Schwebke-Brenton

How well does it clean. I have metal cupboards. Wonder if I could use wallpaper for them ?

• Janice Baker

My mom used wallpaper in her metal cabinets held up for years

• Janet

Contact paper would work better on metal. You can actually make a wooden front for your metal cabinets in much the same way she did her refrigerator. I am assuming they are flat front since most metal ones are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSNeBwBYhNM

• Eleanor Korf

I think if properly prepped you could paint them. Unless they are really sturdy you might want to glue a thin piece of plywood on the door then add a wood border which would look good and also take any "punishment" we inflict on our cabinets. You would have to caulk the edges before painting. I would go on-line to see if you can find one or more tutorial for doing this and lean from their experience. I know that a project similar to what you would have in mind was posted on this website awahile back. Just remember that proper prep is the most important step that you take if you are to have a good outcome.

• Tracy W

The cleaning was pretty easy - damp soft cloth but you could always use thin bead board paneling for your cabinets. Good luck!

• Mary

Why does it look like it has ripples in your birch?

• PAULINE

Thats the wall paper. It loos like wood, I use it on walls that have a bad surface. its great product.

• Michael Soule

Thank you for a wonderful idea. I was contemplating replacing my Fridge when I ran across your project. I did the job and only adjusted the wood trim color. You saved me a ton of money, thanks for sharing.

• Tracy W

So glad it worked out for you! Love that!

• Eclipsebigdog

When it's time for a new fridge buy a new stainless steel and no magnet will stick. The black stainless not only won't allow magnets but it stays cleaner of finger prints. Maybe this comment is only meant for the men and households having a better place to hang memories, reminders, and children's pictures. Oh! By the way you can hang important names and numbers on the side of the newer stainless models?

• Kelli L. Milligan

Be careful, my husband sells appliances and the new stainless that accepts magnets is because they add inferior metals to the stainless and unfortunately caused them to rust out sooner than expected. Some as soon as 2 years.

• Cheryl

I have a stainless refrigerator with non smudge proof, and I can put magnet on the refrigerator anywhere an have no problem with rust or anything for that matter.

• Cheryl

Oh and the kitchen look beautiful!

• HFredda

Your comment : WOW!!! 😮

• Suzanne Woolsey

I have no problem with sticking magnets on my stainless fridge

• Nad34612429

I have no problem with magnets sticking to black stainless steel

• Millymolly

I forgot to ask, is you r backsplash real or the peel and stick kind? I love the look.

• Tracy W

Hello! It’s real stacked stone - I did it myself! It was pretty easy - you could totally do it! Thank you!

• Millymolly

It looks great, I just may try that. Thanks for replying.

• Cheryl Ann miller

I hate my Stainless frig - never clean looking - can I do this on my stainless frig? I love this look!

• Robyn Garner

I don't see why you could not! Follow his instructions by painting on a primer prior to wallpapering.

• Nancy Flemming

I love what she has achieved, I too hate my stainless fridge. This should work if your fridge doors are square, mine are slightly rounded so would be more diffcult, thinking I might do a narrower frame and use tin ceiling tiles that would conform to the shape of the door. Good luck and let us know how yours turn out

• Tracy W

Ha! Thank you - I probably wouldn’t tho because stainless is so nice.

• Mj

On the picture of your freezer door it shows black screw heads. What are those screwed into and and what are they for? I see the screw that you hacksawed off, how did you measure what to cut off? I love this idea and have a refrigerator that would benefit from such a make over!

• Elaine Seibert Jackson

Those are screwed into the bead board that was previously glued to the metal front of the freezer. This is the border around the bead board.

• Tracy W

I thought I was going to have to adhere the wood with screws but I didn’t. The loctite adhesive worked great - just use a lot of it and holdi it until it sticks. I simply cut the head off a cabinet handle screw. No real measuring. LoL Good luck!

• Karla

Hello, you did a beautiful job, I am currently redoing my 90 yr old fathers kitchen, where did you purchase the stone? I just love your outcome!

• Crystal

With a kitchen as beautiful as that, why not just spend the money on a new fridge?...

• Stacy Obert-Gillikin

Why buy a whole new fridge? Seems wasteful. Imho this was a beautiful transition.

• Lori Denise

This refrigerator looks like a beautiful custom cabinet. I’ve never seen a new fridge look like this.

• Susan

Some of us enjoy do it ourselves projects and putting our own personal touch on our spaces. 😊

• Chrissy Krainock Luders

Absolutely darling! It’s one of a kind! You can’t “buy” this fridge anywhere. Thanks for sharing- great job! I own a door and cabinet shop. We make custom cabinet fronts for Sub-Z’s all the time, they aren’t cheap. You did an absolutely darling job.

• Ruthie

You did a great work. How long did it take you. And your kitchen is beautiful. Wish i had one like it.

• Tracy W

Thank you. It seriously took about 4 hours including time for paper and glue to dry!

• Kristin McInnes

I love the way it came out! Is the wood trim miter cut?

• Cindy Crimi

Do you think this would work on laminated cupboards? We are starting to peel and I want to sell this place, thinking if I update the cover some of that and not invest a lot of money it would work??

• Jennifer Arguello

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Just wondering why you have such an amazing and modern kitchen and then and old rusty fridge!? Lol

• Melissa

Haha! I thought the same thing! It looks beautiful now!

• Sherri Butler Eddington

How well do you think it would work on a side by side? I've had my fridge for 20 yrs and it's in need of a "makeover"!

• Tracy W

I think it could totally work - just use thinner wood trim. Good luck! 🙂

• La streight

I have a side by side that has rusted a lot i was going to take doors off and use rustelouem spray oil based but i love this look. Onlu problem i dont have a slide in so sides would show! Wonder if i could paper sides Too? Suggestions?

• Jessica

Would this work on cupboards?

• Tracy W

I don’t see why it wouldn’t. It’s just wallpaper - if it looks terrible simply remove it. Good luck! 😊

• La streight

Yes it would and again this is a great idea esp if ita vinyl wallpaper.

• Lori Lausch

You said that you glued the wood trim to the refrigerator. Why do I see screws through the wood trim?

• Sewcrazy

the screw isn't holding the trim on... it's screwed in from the back of the trim (before gluing) to attach the new knob.

it's all right there in the text.

(i would use a t-nut, but this is a good make-shift substitute).