Yvette Gerace
Yvette Gerace
  • Warren, MI

Hand Made Paper Beads. Possibilities Are Endless!

I came across how to make paper beads while watching craft tutorials on the internet. Had to try this one myself. It was easy, fun, and the finished beads looks like porcelain. Now I have endless ideas for other uses!
hand made paper beads possibilities are endless, crafts, decoupage, repurposing upcycling
I used gardening magazine pages because of all the colors. Begin by marking a Z pattern on a page from top to bottom with a half inch space between the lines. Then cut each one as shown. You will need toothpicks, a piece of styrofoam, some mod podge, & a small paintbrush.
This pic may be out of order (sorry) but these are competed beads with 2 coats of mod podge. Again, you can use more or less - The most important fact here is not to attempt to remove the beads off the pick until the mod podge is completely dry!
Begin by rolling the wider end of the paper around the toothpick. Hint - roll the first end back and forth a few times before going full round for a better adherence to the pick. Then continue to roll it tightly almost to the very end.
It may take a little practice to keep the paper straight, Try to keep even amounts on the each side as you near the end. This part requires some....well ok, a lot of patience. But it's worth it.
At this point, put a very small drop of glue or mod podge on the underside tip and complete the turning process. Keep in mind whatever colors are on your strips, the end colors will show the most.
Your bead should look like this. If you are happy with the shape then use your small paintbrush and put a thin coat of mod podge on the entire bead. Place the pick in the styrofoam with the bead still attached till dry. I used 2 coats but probably not necessary.
I decided on something easy for my first project. A necklace using the beads I made along with some other plastic beadsI'm already thinking borders on shelves, curtains, or even lamp shades. Have fun! In various shapes, sizes, and colors. then strung them on thin vinyl thread.