Jeanette S
Jeanette S
  • Hometalk Helper
  • Atlanta, GA

Repurpose drinking straws

With the heat ruining most of our flowers, the only beautiful color left in the yard being the Caladium, I needed a way to help keep them standing tall so I picked 3 different colors and used drinking straws to help assist me. Instead of throwing them out, save some and reuse them. It just happens that I have red accents in my kitchen so these were perfect for me...but you can find them in many different
Straws hold up flowers in a vase!
Straws hold up flowers in a vase!

• Marie DeSalvo

I recently purchased a caladium plant as a clearance item that had a few stems bent over.I cut them off and placed them in a vase also. Will they get roots in water? Anyway the leaves are so beautiful I hated to throw out the ones that had stems that were too short to do anything with.

• Jeanette S

Caladium do not root from the leaves. They are bulbs and multiply during the growing season...summer. You can take the bulbs out of the soil, trim back any foliage on them, wash them, lay them out to dry. Then loosely pack them in newspaper in a basket or paper bag and keep them in a dry place where they won't get damaged with winter cold. You will notice when you take them out of the soil that they my have bulges out on the sides...these are the pups, or new plants. When spring starts to come about, put them back in a pot of soil and they will come back out. Keep them watered but not soaked. They do not sprout very quickly. You can then put them out in the yard or you can keep them in a pot. However, I never have much luck with re-planted ones so I just always buy new ones.

• Marie DeSalvo

Thank You for your reply. . Should have known the answer but saw them in the vase and well thanks

• Jeanette S

A hanging basket full of caladiuim makes the most beautiful display. I saw some baskets about 20" in diameter with variegated ivy hanging over the sides with pink Caladium standing up in the center...it was STUNNING! I have used variegated border grass and any color caladium to make pretty pots on my deck!

• Suzy Q

Do they grow well indoors

• Jeanette S

I don't know...I have always planted them outside in the ground or hangings baskets and pots! It is worth a try to see how they do....maybe cut off the leaves as they begin to fade to make room for new growth??

• SooUu

OMG, I just had a "why didn't I think of that" moment!

• Jeanette S

I see so many adorable things on HT and think the same thing! I don't arrange flowers, I usually have different varieties blooming at the same time so I just hold various kinds in my hand, moving them up and down and around until all their little faces are showing, then take the scissors and clip off all the stems the same length. I then put them in a vase that is smaller at the top and this pretty much holds them in place. I think you could cut straws at different lengths and do the same thing. Then when you discard wilted flowers, just rinse out the straws, wrap them with a twistie-tie and keep them for the next time.

• Margie Spenser

The question about whether the caladium will get roots makes me wonder if I can use the straw trick when I am purposely trying to root things. Sometimes the stems get tangled if there are too many, or they droop so much over the rim of the glass that the ends come out of the water. I think having a straw to support them would help... and straws are so easy to cut to the right length.

• Jeanette S

Caladiums do not root as they form from bulbs...I don't know if a straw would help in rooting or not...I have never tried it! There are things that will root and then there are things that won't root. Most things root in water in a clear container. If that fails, try a non clear container with water. For instance, Gardenias root very easily...Azeleas just about can't be rooted. Forsythia is easy, just cut off a branch and stick it in the ground!