Plant Hanger Out of T-shirt-yarn

$0

As promised here is my first project with T-shirt yarn. I've known the idea of a plant hanger made out of T-shirt-yarn for quite a while but this particular design is my own. I hope you like it and the fantastic thing about this project is that you only have to braid and knot
plant hanger t shirt yarn instructions, container gardening, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
Finished plant hanger
You will need T-shirt-yarn...
... a flower pot...
... a key ring or something simular...
...fabric scissors, measuring tape and possibly a screw clamp.
Cut your T-shirt yarn into 16 strips of each 1.40 m. As you can see, only my smokeblue stripes are real T-shirt yarn, my beige stripes did not want to curl up because the fabric has a high synthetic content. You can read my post here or at my blog on how to make T-shirt yarn. I picked two colors for my plant hanger but of course you can also just use one color or 16.
First, you must gather all your stripes next to each other on the same level. Start at one end and pull a loop through your key ring and then you have to pull the rest of your yarn through the loop and make a tight knot.
I arranged my strips in four groups, always two blue stripes on the outside and two white on the inside.
To fix my strips while braiding I used a screw clamp.
Next, I braided my four groups with four stripes.
If you have braided your stripes for about 27 cm, make a big knot.
Continue braiding after your knot for about 22 cm and end each braid with a small knot.
Now the explaining-part is getting a bit difficult. Next, you take two endstripes of each braid and knot them together with two endstripes of one adjoining braid. I made my knot after about 5 cm length......and now I am not allowed to upload more images! If you like to see the rest of this tutorial you have to jump over to my blog...Have fun!

Ronja Lotte

• Hildegarde

This is co cool and easier than learning how to macrame. I do have some questions though: How strong is this conception? Will it sag after a while? I will certainly try it and perhaps use it for a cat's cushion, besides the obvious. Many thanks for sharing.

• Ronja Lotte

@Hildegarde You are welcome and I would say that the strongness of this conception depends of the yarn you use and how tight you braid it. Take Care, Ronja Lotte