Home Repair Tutor
Home Repair Tutor
  • Pittsburgh, PA

Eliminate Leaking Bathroom Faucets in Less Than 15 Minutes

Seeing water drip from my bath faucet made me take action. Not to mention the wastefulness of seeing water just go down the drain and paying higher water bills. You might think it's hard to fix this type of leak but it's not bad.
And you can do it yourself in less than 15 minutes with just a pair of channel locks.
Of course it will depend on the type of faucet you have but in most cases the handles can be removed by hand or by unfastening a set screw that holds them in place. You'll need a set of hex wrenches to unfasten set screws.
Modern day faucets have cartridges and you can find replacements at hardware stores for $10-15. The cartridge seals tend to break down over time and allow water to drip from the faucet. Some faucets have rubber seats and springs that can be replaced, too. You'll have to look at your particular setup.
My latest blog post tackles how to replace a Moen bathroom faucet cartridge that went bad. If you want to learn how to do this yourself and save money click on this link http://www.homerepairtutor.com/repair-leaky-moen-bathroom-faucets/.
Do you have additional bathroom faucet repair or replacement tips you'd like to share with the Hometalk community? If so leave a comment :)
Repair a Leaky Moen Faucet in Less Than 15 Minutes
eliminate leaking bathroom faucets in less than 15 minutes, home maintenance repairs, how to, plumbing
Home Repair Tutor

• Con3131823

I have a delta will this be different or the same type of repair?

• Carol Fredette

no. delta is different than Moen. Go to lowes or hardware store and ask clerk for the type of repair for ur delta. also bring the model # if u have it.

• Jade Brunet

Our bathroom sink has a leak which keeps us from sleeping at night. It is good to know that the cartridge seals tend to break down over time and allow water to drip from the faucet. I am glad to know that modern day faucets have cartridge replacements that can be found at hardware stores. It looks like we will be running to the store later today, thanks. http://tonkaplumbing.com/services-tonka-heating-plumbing.html
  • Jack Walsh

There is no set screw on my bathroom faucet, the fixture looks just like the one in this picture. I think it's a moen. How do I remove the handle to get to the inside? Thanks in advance.