Nancy Hunt-Mcdonald
Nancy Hunt-Mcdonald
  • Leesburg, FL

Cleaning Shower Grout

MaryChristine AgostiniJeanette S
+3

Does anyone know of a product that actually works to clean mold from shower grout without scrubbing? I can't bend due too three back surgeries and I have tried several products.
  • Carroll A

Lysol makes a mold and mildew remover. But man is it strong smelling! Open all the windows! I spray it on and leave the bathroom, let it sit 10-15 and then rinse. I have had good luck with it.

• What kind of tile do you have? Tilex Mold & Mildew REALLY works; but it does contain bleach and we don't recommend it on porous tiles like natural stone. You can spray, let it sit for a little while and scrubbing is barely required. It was a miracle in an old bathroom we were cleaning! But it does contain bleach and you do need to be cautious of fumes. Best I've found, though.

• 3po3

This thread should have some other helpful suggestions for you, including a woman who swears by Jasco grout cleaner: http://www.hometalk.com/143941/what-is-the-best-way-to-clean-grout-in-the-kitchen

• Jeanette S

I have seen advertisements latesly for something called "Spray it and Forget it" that suposedly has no harsh chemicals. It works on roofs walkways, fences, etc. It comes in a sprayer bottle that hooks to a hose but you could transfer it to a spray bottle. You can at check instructions on bottle....worth looking into! You might want to find someone to come in and clean it and then keep it sprayed!

• Christine Agostini

Depending on the color of the mold your dealing with, there are a couple of simple solutions. If the mold is black, use straight bleach. Buy the newer bleach gels, they're called splash-proof, this will aid in keeping the bleach where you put it long enough to do its job. If the mold is reddish in color use CLR(calcium,lime,rust) remover, just make sure to read the precautions on the back to ensure the cleaner doesn't come into contact with a surface that could be damaged. Finally, The Works tub and tile cleaner is fantastic but make sure you have rubber gloves and adequate air circulation as this product contains hydrochloric acid. Again, check the label to make sure to protect any other surfaces from harm. Hope this helps. Good luck!

• Mary

A half bleach and water mixture in a spray bottle will work. If it's truely mold and not soap scum ... That just sounds nasty. No wonder no one wants to clean the bathroom!! I have a bad back also. Hope you find the answer ! Smiles and Blessings to you. : )*