Tony
Tony
  • Atlanta, GA

What is the difference between black PE and PEX? Which is better quality?

3po3Tony

I have to replace my water line and have been given quotes with "black PE" or "PEX" as the material to be used. I have tried to do research on both but can't seem to find a side by side comparison anywhere. Which is more preferable for a property in Atlanta?
  • 3po3

This article might answer some of your questions: http://buildipedia.com/at-home/plumbing/plumbing-with-pex?print=1&tmpl=component I'm no expert, but my understanding is that PEX is often preferable because it's easier to connect, but is very strong and flexible.

• Tony

Thanks so much Steve. This article is great at describing PEX but I also was looking for a comparison with polyethylene (PE) as well. As I understand they are two different materials. Maybe I'm wrong. Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

• 3po3

My understanding is that PEX is a type of polyethylene. The X is for cross-linked.