Whitewashed French Vintage IKEA Planters

Recently I took a trip to IKEA and was looking in their planting area. I wish I could say I had a green thumb, but I really just don’t. So finding realistic looking (and pretty!) fake plants is always something I’m looking out for. I came across these cool looking plants, and loved the look and color of the greenery, so I picked them up ($4.99 each) and a couple of their metal tin planters which are a steal for only $.70 each.
Step 1 - Stencil a design onto the tins using dark paint
I had also picked up this random piece of gilded carved wood – I’m not sure if it was from a poster bed, or something else, but I bought it at Goodwill for a buck, and figured sometime down the road, I’d have a use for it. When I saw these pots and the plants, it reminded me almost of a messy looking topiary, and I thought it might look cool to put this wood topper into one of the planters, as sort of a accent piece coming up out of the middle.
Step 2 – Whitewashing the pails
Go VERY easy on the paint here. You want to very lightly just tap the tip of your brush into paint, and then wipe it off. Using very light strokes, just touch it gently to the pail – its basically like dry brushing, if you’ve done that before. I went VERY lightly over the top of the stencil, to give that part an aged look as well.
Let that dry, and then I wrapped some twine around the top of the pails, put the plants into them, and they were all done!! I think they turned out BEAUTIFULLY!!!

10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
15 Genius Hacks to Keep Pests Away
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
15 Amazing Craft Projects That You Can Do Under 15 Minutes
Ashley Rader  {Giddy Upcycled}