Barbara
Barbara
  • Durham, NC

I have a problem with the walls in my bedroom upstairs.

TanyaKMS WoodworksBarbara
+2

When the days are hot, the drywall is really really warm to touch. The sun shines on the bricks on the outside. Again the upstairs is hotter than I think it should be. What is a reasonable fix solution to this.?
  • KMS Woodworks

This sounds like a lack of some decent insulation...do you know what is in your walls or attic space?

• Barbara

Attic has that blown in crap that I plan to either remove it and replace or add to it. Walls I have not clue unless I take all the drywall down and add insulation.

• Barbara

I need instructions as to what to do.

• KMS Woodworks

Its not always necessary to pull the drywall to add to walls. Holes can be cut in the upper areas and insulation can be blown or sprayed in. One way to evaluate your needs would be to have an audit or inspection performed. Sometimes these are offered by your local utility company. Most attic spaces should be in the r30 to r-38 range as a min with upwards of r-60 for some better performance. http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=home_sealing.hm_improvement_insulation_table

• Tanya

Oh I feel your pain, darlin. I was born and raised in Charlotte, I know how brutal the heat and humidity can be. Do you happen to have an attic fan?