Kathi P
Kathi P
  • Mount Prospect, IL

Is there any other name for a Rose of Sharon flowering shrub?

Tommi L. PerkinsJanetWanda Rodgers
+20

I used to have a beautiful one until we moved & I cannot find a replacement. :)
  • 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

It may be found under 'Hibiscus' or 'Althea'

• Paul M

Rose of Sharon is a variety of Hibiscus so what Four Seasons is saying is correct. Check out various Hibiscus plants, you may well find something you like even better than rose of Sharon.

I thought Rose of Sharon was the name almost all nurseries used. You would think now when they are in bloom would be the time they are in stock.

• Angela A

Ive always referred to it as Hibiscus or Althea and more recently rose of Sharon since being out of the nursery biz myself...I had to relearn my terminology ;-)

• Shirley C

Althea us all I ever heard besides Rose of Sharon

• Shirley C

SEED CATALOGS USUALLY SELL THEM

• Sharron W

I have a "double flowering red Althea" if you ask for hibiscus you'll get a different plant entirely. LOL

If you ask for Hibiscus you need to use the full name, Hibiscus syriacus.

• Paul M

Sharron a rose of Sharon is a hibiscus, it is just a particular variety. Douglas has noted the specific name. There are many hibiscus plants and rose of Sharon is one of many, it is not a different plant.

• Jeanette S

I have always loved Athea/Rose of Sharon and I think it is because I love Hibiscus...which I learned only reacently that Athea was actually in that familly. So many of the Hibiscus do not survive winter in Atlanta so I do not have any, but I do have Altheea...love them.

• Sharron W

I Have the Red Double flowering "Shrub" (Which I'm planning to move in the fall incidentally) and I have a Giant Red "saucer" Hibicus which had over 55 blooms open on one day this spring, I was stunned! I literally could not believe how many flowers that plant had...

• Bill

I have the white rose of sharon and also the pink/purple colored rose of sharon.I keep mine cut back to a bout 5 foot tall. I also have the Hisbicus bush and it has red flowers about 4 inches across on it. My hibicus grows to about 3 foot tall. I googled hibiscus and the plant is the same as mine. I live in the mountains of western N.C.

• Bill

I have heard a hibiscus could grow into a tree. I was wondering if they were talking about the rose of sharon. ????????

• Void Strongvillage

Also called flower of korea. I have a few in my yard. You can trim them down into small shrubs, or let them grow into 20ft trees. Gorgeous either way. They seed everywhere but if you cut your lawn the seedlings won't grow. Ours came with our house so they're about 40yrs old or so.

• Wanda Rodgers

I believe you can get Rose of Sharon through Springhill, They are online.

• Janet

Also called Althea, but you should be able to order from Wayside, Henry Fields, Burgess, etc... Or. Find at local nursery.

• Janet

• Janet

• Janet

• Janet

• Janet

• Janet

• Tommi L. Perkins

Most of the local Home Centers will have Rose of Sharon but may not have anything very exotic. Looking in a large nursery or even online may reveal a variety that is more special or exotic.