Ann S
Ann S
  • Kalamazoo, MI

I redid this flower box thats built into the wall of back doorway but having problems?

Virginia RApril EFloy Height
+10

There was ivy in it but was over growing into path of door so put new flowers in it but none of them seem to be doing good. They only get indirect light mostly. Any suggestions?
i redid this flower box thats built into the wall of back doorway but having, flowers, gardening
Pillow Talk Calla Lily  on each end
Pillow Talk Calla Lily on each end
Cyclamen one one side
Cyclamen one one side
Lucky Bamboo I've had for about 10 yrs now. It's in the biggest water pitcher I could find & would still fit in this box. Is in the middle.
Gerbera on other side
Gerbera on other side
  • KMS Woodworks

I agree it is a lighting issue....most flowers want at least 4-5 hours of good sun.

• Ann S

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Ann S

If not flowers something to still plant something in the planter boxes, there 2 of them in this box. My back door way is narrow is don't want something that is gonna hang over. I did think of putting a trellis of sort to the ceiling as an idea!

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Tradscanthia might work(wandering jew) or if you have room or Aspidistra (cast iron plant) some of the Plectranthus may work or Nephthytis

• Jeanette S

Look in the houseplant section at the nursery. There are all colors of plants to use so you do not have to have blooming plants....maroon, chartruse, forest green, apple green to ivory colored to pinkish and yellow leaves. Less bother and all these plants need is a little water and an occasional feeding.

I think Sansevieria's low light and water requirements would make it a good choice for that spot.

• Ann S

Thanks everyone, now I get to go shopping again! Yes!

• Therese Ryan-Haas

Oh gosh there are so many not mentioned so easy to find in box stores. miniature Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum) , flamingo flower(Anthurium scherzerianum),Polka Dot orFreckle Face)(Hypoestes phyllostachya), Spider plant (Chlorophytum comosum) and African violet (Saintpaulia ionantha).

• Lavachk1

Anthuriums would work. They do not require a lot of sun. The blooms lasts forever too.

• Wanda sinnema

everyone has listed lots of choices,,, the ones you have are outdoor plants in just the wrong place--inside..just plant them outside just look for low light house plants that bloom.... I'd also keep that as a cute place to decorate for the seasons..like your outside entry sidewalk,, especially for halloween or Christmasjust for fun..

• Floy Height

Nothing much likes low light but if you just rotate small plants outside weekly and replace with the ones that have been outside, they should always look good.

• April E

what about NOT planting it in the planer but rather removing the soil and setting pots in and using moss to hide the fact they are not planted this way you could interchange plants for season holiday and looks even if you want something that takes a little more light you could get a couple of the plants and exchange them weekly 1 in the "planter" 1 in a sunny location. this would also help with making your interior-scape cohesive.

• Virginia R

Ann S I see this original post was in 2012. Wondering if you ever posted what you ended up doing?