Becky H
Becky H
  • Tampa, FL

Birds are coming out!

The Birds of Paradise are just now beginning to bloom. A landscaper/lawn care company that services my neighbor's yard remarked, last week, that generally one had to choose between blooms and a nice looking plant. He couldn't believe I'd found a location for my Bird of Paradise where I could have both.
The first two blooms of this season.  If you look closely, you can see the promising spikes preceding new blooms.
The first two blooms of this season. If you look closely, you can see the promising spikes preceding new blooms.
Look for the pink spikes/buds; this is just a few of those on the plant.

• Sherrie S

The non blooming birds are way back in the backyard so they just look tropical & green. Douglas, I'm not giving up. Becky H, what do you feed your plants?

• Becky H

Sherrie, I feed it the Osmacote (sp?) for flowers and veges. The soil it's in has to be somewhat acid, since it's under the canopy edge of an oak tree. I don't do anything partiularly special for it, beyond what I do for my other plants (ie. insect control, acid lovers, roses, etc.). I know the lack of blooms is disappointing, but the vase shape of this plant is nice, and the foliage is unique and tropical. I sure wouldn't give up on it!!